Saturday, November 30, 2019

I'm not knocking November, but...



It has been an interesting month.

 The weather has been mostly beautiful – dry and sunny, with very little of the fog and rainfall we are used to seeing this time of year. November is usually our wettest month, and this one has been the driest on record (good for cleaning up leaves!). Lately it's been freezing hard at night, and not always thawing out during the day up here on the hill. Hard on the plants, I'm sure; it's definitely hard on the skin. It would be hard on a Christmas tree as well, to be parched before cutting and then brought into an even drier house. But there has been no talk here of getting one this year, so I may not have to worry about that. This year getting into the holidays feels like a side trip I don't need or want to take; that is for people with the luxury of more time, energy and interest. Low-key sounds good to me; "life" provides enough drama!

Take this morning. Rick stoked the fire, leaving the insert doors slightly open for airflow to get it going good. A piece of wood tumbled out onto the hearth – twice – smoking up the house and causing the smoke alarms to sound off. We opened doors and windows even though it was below freezing outside, turned on the ceiling fan and even engaged a box fan to no avail; the ear-splitting beeping went on for over an hour. I finally left, late and cold, for church; Rick and Brian came even later. I've been trying to warm the house back up ever since we got home; Rick has been gone to a memorial service, and Brian napped the daylight away in his room.

The last two weeks have been off-schedule, which is unsettling to my little rut-loving mind. This week Brian was off early on Tuesday for the rest of the week for Thanksgiving; last week he was off early on Tuesday for the rest of the week for a suspension. Next week should be back to 'normal,' then Rick leaves for eight long days. There will be lots of driving to get Brian to and from school and me to work; the first high school basketball game is Thursday night but Brian has to bring up grades in two classes in order to participate (he hasn't been able to practice, either).

Jackson, dear Jackson. After going to town with me a week ago, he made it very clear that he wanted to go with me Monday morning. But he wouldn't have been able to manage the stairs to my second-floor office; so hard to disappoint him! Dozer's only been gone 20 days, but it seems like months....


And so life goes. There are blessings, always blessings, and I am thankful (although never as much as I should be, I'm sure). Life is a gift, even when it's hard. Amen.

That's it for November from . . .

4 comments:

Retired Knitter said...

On no. Suspension!

Life ... a gift, I agree! Even when it is hard. Amen to that thought.

Hope all that dry weather doesn't create a fire risk - or a sign that the winter will be harder than normal.

Mama Pea said...

I loved your phrase "little rut-loving mind!" That's me in a nutshell. I don't need surprises or disruption of my routine. (Although I must admit I feel my "routine" got lost in the shuffle sometime last summer and I've yet to relocate it.)

Oh, teenagers. Sigh. I didn't have a boy child and therefore didn't have to deal with wrecked vehicles or suspensions from school (yikes), but girls can be equally hard with their wild, bouncing off the walls, hard to regulate Emotions. (Yes, that is emotions with a capital E!) Fortunately, we as mothers do live through it and come out the other end with adult children we are proud to call our own. Hang in there.

Jeanne said...

I'm sorry Brian is having problems! I'll lift the situation in prayer!

I feel sorry for both you and Jackson. Too bad you don't have an elevator in that building.

Hang in there dear friend!

Michelle said...

Probably no real fire danger around us, Elaine, but if the winter continues like this, our beautiful state will be in trouble.

Mama Pea, sometimes I think life is all about shaking us out of our comfort zones. My MIL lives alone but would much rather be in the midst of a bustling family – and I'd swap places with her any day! As for boys, from where I sit they look just as Emotional, wildly bouncing off the walls (only more destructively). I'm doing my best to hang in there; what other choice to I have!

I covet your prayers, Jeanne. God is the only One Who is going to be able to get through to him and I pray constantly that He does whatever it takes, no matter how painful (to any of us) that is!