Thursday, August 17, 2017

Cures for what ailed me

Between the national news and a failing old gentleman ram, I've been feeling sad and unsettled this week. But yesterday Nightcap rallied some (I'm plying him with goodies)

and I was inundated with blessings in the form of produce. One of Rick's clients invited him over to pick green and mung beans, and they also sent home a bunch of yellow crookneck squash and a few tomatoes (to add to my piddly stash of tomatoes and bountiful harvest of zucchini).




While they were gone, a neighbor called to tell me our favorite little peach orchard was opening up to just a few locals for limited hours this week only for FREE picking! Earlier in the summer we were told there wouldn't be any peaches from them this year; the trees were hit hard with leaf curl. (We suspect he didn't spray this year because he plans to tear out the rest of the trees for wine grapes.)-:

So Rick and Brian got home, unloaded garden produce (I was already prepping for dilly beans, starting with green beans from our own garden), grabbed boxes and laundry baskets, and headed down to pick peaches. Oh glorious day!
Between 14 pints of spicy dilly beans and the big bowl of green and mung beans we grilled for our supper (along with veggie burgers with all the fixin's, garlic from our garden, and onion slices) that giant mixing bowl of beans has been reduced to a handful. Now on to freezing peaches – and a fresh peach pie or two!

That's it from blessed and busy . . .

7 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Please let me know when there's a peach pie coming out of the oven!

Sending good wishes to Nightcap.

Theresa said...

All good thoughts going out to Nightcap. Wow, that's a whole heap of edible goodies. Pity those peach trees will lose to grapes.

Michelle said...

Oh no, Mama Pea, I make FRESH peach pie! Fresh sliced peaches with a homemade peach sauce to hold them together; only the crust is baked. To our taste buds, it tastes FAR superior to peaches that have been cooked!

Thanks, Theresa; he's getting old and weak but is still interested in life (and goodies) so I'm trying to support him in every way possible. Impractical, but I feel it is good stewardship. Yeah, we would hate losing that orchard of beautiful Canadian Harmony jewels, especially to something that isn't even FOOD.

Mama Pea said...

Goodness gracious, that sounds even better! I make a blueberry pie in much the same way. Matter of fact, it's my dear husband's birthday tomorrow and he's requested that pie as his birthday "cake!"

Bill said...

Everything looks great! I especially enjoy seeing those bumpy crookneck squash. We used to grow them that way when I was a kid.

Susan said...

Sending love to Nightcap. There is nothing more adorable than an old gentleman ram. What a bounty! I have survived my lack of ripe tomatoes thanks to the generosity of a friend with a greenhouse.

Unknown said...

all is great. thanks for sharing!

หนังไทยตลก