Monday, June 27, 2016

Craziness

White currants for the freezer, rhubarb for potluck crisp
Where has June gone? I know, I know, it's not over yet, but for me it might as well be. All the end of month things (Rick's payroll and quarterly payroll taxes, the church newsletter) have to be done early because of our upcoming horse-camping trip, on top of getting ready for our upcoming horse-camping trip (arranging for chores, meal planning and prep, loading horse trailer and camper). We want our garden and potted plants to survive our absence, so the well has been feeding soaker hoses and sprinklers nearly non-stop, and there have been ripe berries to pick and freeze so they don't go to waste. Oh, and we found some good hay, so of course that had to be gotten while the getting was good.
There's one small "hole" left for a couple tons of second cutting orchard grass for next winter's pregnant/nursing ewes, otherwise we're set. And for the first time ever, Brian handled more bales than I did – finally!

Stuffed in the gaps here and there I've sorted out a little problem in my current knitting project, attending a custody hearing in support of a friend, and did my best to stop and be sociable when I've run into people I know. I did that today in the grocery store while picking up some final items for our camping trip and as a result will probably be getting three started pullets when we get back! I still need to snag some fiber from my stash for the Tour de Fleece, which starts this Friday. Since I'll be camping, I'll take one of my Jenkins Turkish spindles.

Hoping this "vacation" is worth the crazy at . . .

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Have fun! I hope all the crazy is worth it too. Nice hay! I've secured our tonnage for the next year also. More like the hay guy Colby automatically puts 8 ton aside for me, as he does for his other repeat customers. And bless him, holds it until I'm down to my last few bales.

Susan said...

What a lot to get done in such a short time! I know what you mean about the hay - I was very stressed because I was down to 2/3 of a bale! Luckily, my hay guy finally got into his fields. Hope you have a wonderful time and I know we will be seeing lots of marvelous photographs.

Mary Ann said...

Take a deep breath and have fun on your trip!

Claire MW said...

Wow, what a treat to have all those white currants! I am envious! I used to have currants of all colours in Iowa but here they are harder to source. I have found a place where I can buy black and red bare root shrubs, but only one variety of each. I will hopefully start some next year.