Sunday, August 30, 2015

Happy 150th!

The Oregon State Fair is 150 years old, so I guess it is fitting that our family is loading up on fair experiences this year. I kicked it off by spinning in the Salem Fiber Arts booth today, my debut as a demonstrator.

I got there early, so dropped off my rolling cart full of spinning stuff and scurried across the fairgrounds to the livestock pavilion. I said "hi" to my farrier/shearer and his wife, who are there showing Border Leicesters and Texels, on my way to say hi to the Shetland folk, only to learn from them that there are no Shetland folk at the fair this year! I don't know what happened; the gal who bought Marta, Bali and Brosna told me she'd be there.

Oh well; I headed back to the booth, introduced myself to the other volunteers, and started spinning. Five hours passed quickly with the help of spindle, miniSpinner, answering questions from visitors, taking a few strolls around the hall to see other exhibits (spindling all the while), and one quick trip away from my post to get a falafel sandwich for lunch (my vote for best "fair food"). I couldn't resist taking a few photos (although none of my spinning; go figure!).

It was an honor to be part of the booth that featured John Beard's amazing Ravenstail weaving:

I saw lots of wonderful fiber arts fair entries, but these particular ones caught my fancy:
This entertaining fellow caught my eye on my way to find falafel:
And the weather was perfect!
Our rain gauge had an even inch in it this morning; I can't remember if I emptied the first 3/8" or not. At any rate, it was a much appreciated watering, and has transformed everything – including attitudes!  ;-)

That's it for Fair Day #1, from . . .



8 comments:

thecrazysheeplady said...

Fun!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

What an amazing weaving...and fair. Looks like a lot of fun and sorry no Shetlands in evidence. Were there other breeds? I saw a lot of those street performers in Barcelona, very entertaining!

Tombstone Livestock said...

good to hear you are getting rain, can't wait for some to come settle the dust ad smoke here.

Michelle said...

It was, Sara!

There were a lot of other sheep breeds, Sandra, I just didn't have time to take a mental inventory before my designated volunteer time.

Oh Audrey, I hope you get some soon!

Lori Skoog said...

Thank you for sharing. Loved all the photos....such beautiful work.

Unknown said...

What wonderful craftsmanship. Great photos. It looks like a lot a fun to be involved in the activities there.

Mary Ann said...

The only fair we saw this year was our little county fair... it's fun to see yours !

Mokihana said...

I was very fortunate to be able to see John making a Ravenstail while I was taking spinning lessons. We were all in the old Damascus Pioneer Craft School together. He does amazing work!