Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Can't keep up!

It's spring, which means there's so much to SEE – and so much to DO! Chores, lambs, and photo opportunities all vie for attention; I'm trying to give some of my time to each. ;-)

Sunday I got four reserved fleeces skirted. Two are already in the mail; the other two await a big-enough box. I wasn't taking photos as I went – until I got to Bart's. His fleece was arresting; I have to show you his lusciousness!

Out of the bag:


Out on the skirting table:

I have to say I'm really happy with what my flock produces. My fleeces are all in the "Fine" category of the Fine Fleece Shetland Sheep Association's grading chart (which is based on Oliver Henry's grading system), with good length and weight besides. Bing and Bittersweet are both very fine and crimpy, and their skirted fleeces weighed four pounds and almost five pounds respectively!

Yesterday I got the wethers and Bramble moved to the wooded lot; that's Bart, Bing and Bittersweet above. Then there are the future fiber producers below (caught at a rare moment INside the fence, the little rascals – and even lined up in birth order!):

I have several lovely lamb portraits to share, but I think I'll leave that for tomorrow's post. I'll close this post with some posy pix.

That's it for now from . . .





14 comments:

Kelly said...

Now that's something to be shouting from the roof tops. Very nice Michelle. Loving the flower photos too, we don't have many of those yet.

A :-) said...

Wow!! What a fleece!!

Laura said...

That's one awesome fleece! Good for you!!

odiie said...

That fleece is outstanding! How I want to get that on the wheel.

Susan said...

What amazing fleece! I need to get into the fleece storage room and tackled mine -- before the next three arrive hot off the sheep on the 4th! I am so behind.

Unknown said...

Yes, Bart's fleece is awesome! Love the crimp. I've used such bits of crimped wool like this for (4"-6")needle-felted Santas I've made, and it makes for great, full white beards. Love all the photos today!

Spinners End Farm said...

Verra nice fleece! Thank you too for the flower pictures....we've none here yet, but the snow is melting so there is hope!

Mary Ann said...

Oh my gosh, the fleeces look very nice, but the picture of the Wanderers all in a row... priceless!

Tyche's Minder said...

Yow. That fleece is fantastic.

Leigh said...

The fleece is gorgeous! But you take such care with them why wouldn't they be. You have every right to be pleased!

Tombstone Livestock said...

Beautiful fleece ............!!!!!

Unknown said...

I love looking at raw fleece... especially one as gorgeous as Bart's.

Maureen said...

OH I can almost smell that lilac! It will be quite awhile before we get blossoms up here.

Love the lamb pics; and that fleece is amazing!

Michelle said...

Bart is certainly a top producer. Not only is his fleece crimpy, soft and long, it's heavier than my little scale can weigh, meaning that it is MORE than 5 lbs 4 oz skirted! Of course, he is a BIG wether, and has nothing better to do than eat and grow nice fleece. ;-)