Wednesday, May 15, 2013

"Iris" you!

Whenever Lance sees me,
"Hi! 'I ris' you!" (I know, it's punny.)
he comes to me. Ain't that sweet? I adore this colt! (I keep our escapades mostly confined to my horse blog.)

Here are the latest iris to open in my weedy bed:
It is IMPOSSIBLE to capture this purple accurately!
This one's color, however, is spot on.
And here are the iris in our upper pasture (the second one is also blooming by our front gate):

Every year I consider marking where the pasture tubers are so I can dig them up and plant them with the other iris, but I'm afraid their simple, old-fashioned charm wouldn't fit in with the fancier frilly beardeds. So we just enjoy them where they come up, planted there long ago by some unknown gardener.

I hope you have a good Wednesday. Today my Textiles students start weaving!

Happy Hump Day from . . .


12 comments:

Susan said...

What a beautiful horse, Michelle! I should try growing some irises - they are so striking. I have one small clump of Japanese irises that I love.

Tombstone Livestock said...

Enjoying your iris photos. I guess because it was so dry and now hot only some of my iris bloomed this year. Since Rattlesnake was near the iris bed I planted around the house I think I will divide them up and move them this year.

IsobelleGoLightly said...

Ooo! He's nice! I like horses even though they can get pushy with MY hay...burp.

Mary Ann said...

Oh, Michelle, your iris are so beautiful. My buds are swelling here, and we hope to have pictures soon.

C-ingspots said...

You have so many beautiful Iris'...I have one just like the last one you have shown. Love the deep purple, and the pale blue ones! Lance has the most adorable face! How could you not love him??

Anonymous said...

Oh drool over that horse!!! OK, drool over the iris as well, they are beautiful and so colorful! I like that you chose to admire the older ones where they are, "planted long ago by some unknown gardner."
Hugs,
Beth P

Michelle said...

I have a soft spot in my heart for Siberian iris, Susan, and Japanese iris are gorgeous!

Michelle said...

Rattlesnakes would put me off gardening COMPLETELY!

Michelle said...

Lance is a very playful horse, Isobelle; you'd probably have fun together!

Michelle said...

I hope you get a good showing, Mary Ann. We are not getting a lot of blooms because of all the weeds crowding the iris.

Michelle said...

I don't even TRY to resist, Lorie. :-)

Michelle said...

Thank-you, Beth; I know I am blessed!