Monday, May 13, 2013

Fleece and serpent and flowers, oh my!

We had a jam-packed Mother's Day here. Immediately after morning chores, Rick and Brian took their mothers out for a delicious repast at our favorite local breakfast spot. Then we all came back to Boulderneigh to work off the rich food at the skirting table (me) and in the garden (the other three). I got Browning done; two more to go!

While Brian was carrying out garden debris, he happened upon a little snake near the island bed. I went over to take a look – to see it taking a look, looking like a periscope!
You can see its size compared to the garden hose; it's very small

He's rather cute!

Early in the afternoon we took off again in a different direction – over the river and through the woods to Schreiner's Iris Gardens. The gardens were at their show-stopping best, live music was playing, the weather was cool and overcast – perfect for photography! I played snap-happy with Mr. Lumix until his battery died; then Rick handed over his real camera (Pentax DSLR) and I continued with that. Unfortunately, he had the ISO set too high, making almost all the photos I took with it unacceptably grainy. But I will be playing around with it again, after spending some time with the owner's manual. Here are some of my favorite shots out of both cameras:

That's it for now from . . .

14 comments:

Kanisha said...

I cut my teeth on a pentax slr when you had to pay to develop photos! You can certainly see the difference- which model is it? For pocketability and snapshots the lumix is just fab.

Michelle said...

I still have my Pentax K1000 from college photography class, where I learned to develop B/W film! Rick's DSLR is a Pentax K7.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Nice macros! What a nice day :-).

Suzan said...

Such lovely Spring Flowers and beautiful fleece!!

Anonymous said...

Isn't spring just fabulous with all the blooming and growing and magnificent colors?! I just started my garden this year so my expectations are low on how much blooming there will actually be but there is a lot of growth going on! :D
Thanks for sharing all these lovely photos...
Hugs,
Beth P

Laura said...

Have you talked to him about a trade yet? (hee hee!!). Great pictures. I have to do "homework" this week for my class - can't seem to find the time. But I have a ready subject in the Canadian Wheel - I need to send pics to the group on Ravelry to see if we can date/identify it for certain.

Beautiful close ups!

Michelle said...

That's a high compliment from you, lady! Macro is FUN; I want to do more with Rick's camera.

Michelle said...

Our area is embarrassingly rich with spring beauty, Suzan. :-)

Michelle said...

Our landscape is finally starting to mature, Beth; yours will, too. :-)

Michelle said...

Yes, I did mention your suggestion. ;-)

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, my word! That garden is heavenly!!! Hope you enjoyed your visit there. It's been way too long since I've seen lovely flowers like that.

Florida Farm Girl said...

OMG, I replied before reading about you having the K1000 Pentax. I have one of those workhorses, too and just can't seem to part with it.

Susan said...

What beautiful photographs, Michelle! It makes me want to go out and plant flowers!!

C-ingspots said...

Pretty flowers everywhere!!