Thursday, May 23, 2013

Fiber/photo finish

Yesterday was the last session of my homeschool co-op Textiles 101 class. With the exception of one girl who took her weaving project home to finish (I'll get the tools from her later), the students were able to take their finished weaving samples with them. Whew! It was a good thing my class was held first period, because only ONE student finished her project during class:

The rest of the students worked hard and made a lot of progress:



(In their defense, the announcements took forever and ate up 15 minutes of our scheduled 50-minute class time!) I and two helpers had the next two periods free, so we worked feverishly to finish up what the students couldn't get done. I had also woven on each project at home so that they could hopefully be finished by the students on time:

I enjoy teaching this class; in fact, I'm signed up to teach it next fall to the 5th graders. Until then, though, I am looking forward to pursuing my own fiber projects – like spinning up the rest of this homegrown light grey Shetland (there's more than is shown):

Spinning and plying this fiber will be my training event before the Tour de France/Fleece starts next month. I want to begin the TdF with empty spindles and miniSpinner and fresh fiber challenges!

That's it for now from . . .

6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

It looks so very beautiful, Michelle... your fiber. The kids looked like they were having a great time!

Susan said...

Such focus! That's how you can tell they are interested and learning (IMHO). I bet you are a great teacher.

farmlady said...

The home grown Shetland is beautiful. What pretty yarn it makes.
Teaching children to create something is a wonderful thing. There's great satisfaction in watching a child learn a skill and enjoy the process. Good on you.

Thirteen Sheep (Or More) said...

Om my, that is pretty fleece! I'm looking at acquiring a Shetland or more and looking forward to some luscious fleece.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

it's great teaching fiber textiles to children; they love both making something and hearing about the process. well done!

Dianne MacDonald said...

How lucky for those kids to be exposed to fiber crafts now. I think it would have been wonderful to have learned about weaving, spinning, etc. at an early age. Who knows what long-term interest you may have started!