Monday, December 03, 2012

A farmgirl's Calgon moment

No time here for a soak in the tub, so last night I took a few moments for the next best thing – sheep snoggles.



Just in from the rain, they were soggy and hungry – some more for attention than hay. :-)

This morning when I opened the henhouse for the day, six eggs awaited me. I can't remember the last time I got six eggs in one day – much less waiting for me at morning chore time! Obviously, the covered (and therefore darker) run isn't negatively impacting them.
In spite of the clumsy web of boards supporting the tarp, rain still collects and has to be dumped once or twice a day. But the run still stays dry enough that the hens have a place to scratch and dust themselves – a wintertime first here.

Speaking of hens, we've lost another one. Friday I thought Peaches was thinking about laying her first egg under the nest boxes where one of the Buff girls nests – but she hung out there an awfully long time. Still, her head was up and she otherwise looked bright and alert. By Sunday morning she was gone. So now we have four speckled, three golden, two brown and one white – ten hens total.

All this outside focus is really intentional distraction from what is looming dead ahead. Saturday night we are hosting a Christmas party for a crowd of approximately 40 people – thanks to Rick volunteering our home. This is a first for us, and waaaaay out of my comfort zone. To his credit, Rick did a lot of outside clean-up, put up Christmas lights, and cut a tree Friday – before leaving town. Unfortunately, in spite of my request for a smaller tree this year, he and Brian chose a 14' Noble that Brian and I cannot decorate on our own. Rick gets back late Wednesday night; hopefully he'll have time to help us decorate it Thursday night. Meanwhile, I'm responsible for all the inside cleaning, decluttering and cooking which must be finished before Friday evening. Oh, and Brian's birthday is Thursday, so I also have that to prepare for. (That is why there is a Happy Birthday banner on the naked tree for now.)

I'm hoping to have time to actually enjoy this Christmas season starting Sunday. :-/

That's it for now from . . .

13 comments:

Mary Ann said...

You can do it! Just make a list! I'm trying to tick off mine as the days go by. I love throwing parties, and love having people over. Stick to simple buffet party food and you'll be okay. The fir is nice, they did a good job... allbeit big!

Thirteen Sheep (Or More) said...

Sheep snoggles are the BEST! Way better than Calgon.

Tombstone Livestock said...

Relax, just breathe, if any of the 40 are animal people everything will be just fine. At least with 40 people that's to many for a sit down dinner that requires all the silverware to be polished. Have a good time enjoy your party.

Susan said...

That is going to require a LOT of snoggles! It will be a marvelous party - your home is beautiful, you are a gracious hostess and everyone will have a ball (you included). I am always thankful that the days are short and the dim light masks dust bunnies and looks all atmosphericy. And Happy Birthday, Brian!

C-ingspots said...

Too bad you don't drink Michelle!! I'd say a nice glass of wine and a soak in a warm tub would rejuvenate and relax you. :)
Just remember...we are all friends, all farm people and animal lovers...and you don't have to prepare more than 1 dish yourself. Thank God for potluck! It will be over before you know it, and it will be fun if you DECIDE to relax and have fun. Truth! :)

Michelle said...

Wish I could send them to YOUR house, Mary Ann! You obviously have a sanguine personality, like my husband, son and MIL. Me, I am much more hermit-like, and would rather not have a crowd in my "cave"! Fortunately, the event is potluck, so I am not doing all the cooking (but have to do some for this event plus other stuff).

Michelle said...

Most people would probably prefer my 'aroma' after a bath with Calgon, but I agree with YOU!

Michelle said...

Most are horse people . . . it's just that there are a LOT of them!

Michelle said...

I'll pass on the birthday wishes, Susan. :-)

Michelle said...

Actually, I'm planning to prepare three dishes. Gotta have something healthy for the husband to eat, you know! Another heart attack would be FAR more stressful than a houseful of company....

Leigh said...

Those are some ecstatic sheep faces! I hope the party goes better than you expect!

Anonymous said...

Love sheep scratching/snoogling time, even tho the aroma of wet wool is sometimes not all that desirable. And your tree is beautiful. We are going to have a small tree on a table this year. Lyndsey isn't happy about it, but with 5 dogs (2 puppies who love to play and chew could be dangerous).

Anonymous said...

That's a grand tree, even without decorations! Keep moving ahead in an orderly manner checking items off your list and by Saturday evening you'll be able to relax and let yourself enjoy the evening. The friends aren't coming there to critique your place, they're coming for a party and friendship! It's really a compliment towards you that Rick wants to host the party at your place.
Enjoy Brian's birthday! And I do hope that you're able to find some quiet minutes of lovely solitude this week.