Tuesday, July 17, 2012

To Saipan, with love

My best friend is moving tomorrow, flying off to Saipan with her little girl to teach for two years. (The education system in this state is disintegrating and teaching jobs are as scarce as hens' teeth.) I wanted to give my friend a special going-away present, a long-distance "hug" – but a tropical island is not a place for hand-knits. Then I saw some shiny cotton/rayon yarn, and an idea for a summery shawl was born. I got my friend's input on color and pattern (free on Ravelry) and have been busily working away for the past month to get it done. I delivered it yesterday – and then spent the rest of the day helping my friend clean her house. She didn't want to model the shawl in her grubbies, so I told her to send me a photo of her wearing it in Saipan. Here it is blocking (in my rush to get it done I forgot to check the pattern and didn't block out points):

Yarn is slowly accumulating on spindle and miniSpinner for the Tour de Fleece. Now that I've finished the deadline knitting, I think there's actually a chance of finishing the fibers I'm working on, and maybe even getting the superfine Merino on my miniSpinner plyed. (The fiber on my spindle will be plyed with some white BFL that I haven't started yet.)

Current homegrown treat: Bing cherries. Yum!

That's it for today from . . .

14 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, Michelle! What a beautiful shawl!!! She will be remembering you very fondly, decked out in that beauty.

Michelle said...

I hope so, Susan; thank-you.

Alice said...

Oh my! Your shawl is such a treasure to behold! She will not forget your kindness and your artistry. What a lucky friend she is :-)
Your spinning on the Hansen is beautiful.... as always. I just love that color, too. I’m sure you’ll finish the race in the TDF :-)

Sheila said...

The shawl is beautiful; your friend will love it. Thanks so much for sharing.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

WOW! Michelle, that's a beautiful shawl; well done!

Michelle said...

Thank-you, Alice, Sheila and Sandra! My husband said he thought it was the prettiest thing I've ever knit, and he's a many of few compliments.

Mama Pea said...

That shawl is a work of art! Gorgeous.

I've never known anyone who grew their own bing cherries. (So, how long will you be picking them? And how long would it take me to drive to your place from Minnesota?)

Michelle said...

Mama Pea, I'm afraid they would be all gone by then; sorry!

Cherries grow very well here, although the Bings are a little tricker because they'll split if it rains at the wrong time. We also have Royal Ann cherries (which are used to make maraschino cherries but taste great fresh), and Rainier cherries. The latter tree didn't do well this year; it set on LOTS but they are very small.

Unknown said...

Love the shawl, without the points blocked. And I'm sure your friend will too. Cherries sound great, now I have a cherry craving. :-)

farmlady said...

What a lovely gift for your friend. It's beautiful! I wish her a good two years and success. She's very brave and you are a very good friend.

Kelly said...

Bravo Michelle....your shawls are always works of art. Lovely, very lovely.

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Don't know what happened, but if you get this twice, feel free to delete one :)

Would much rather have the Royal Ann's (same as Queen Ann's maybe?) and Mt Rainier are actually my fav cherrys. Beautiful shawl! You are a very generous soul.

Marie said...

Beautiful shawl!!

Sharon said...

What a lovely and thoughtful gift for your friend. I don't think your state is the only one where teaching jobs are shrinking. Sad to think that Saipan values teachers more than we do.