Monday, July 23, 2012

How we/I did



1. Pick and freeze blueberries. Picked 120 pounds of big, beautiful blues; I ran out of room in the freezers after 18 gallon Ziplock bags (5# each).

2. Haul hay. We located hay locally; they have enough for our needs and can keep it in the barn until we are able to pick it up. The price is higher than average; Rick is going by to look at it this week before we commit.

3. Trim sheep hooves. Too pooped to "prune."

4. Chop and bag thistles. Check – and then some! Packed two feed sacks full of thistles and some tansy from around the arena and the middle and upper pastures.

5. Take measurements for BLM Adoption Application. Nope, but I have more time to do this than I thought.

6. Ride Larry. Too drained to "dance."

7. Ply spindle-spun yarn. I got a late start and ran out of time. Will finish today.

8. Take final tally photo for Tour de Fleece. Taken just before midnight. The last of Inky's roving, spun and plyed on a Jenkins Turkish spindle; 4 oz. of superfine Merino spun and n-plyed on my Hansen miniSpinner; white BFL and purple BFL/silk spun and being plyed on Jenkins Turkish spindles.

9. Scrub master bath. I didn't even have time to scrub ME!

10. Continue continual watering. Check.

Headlong into another busy day at . . .

13 comments:

Sheila said...

You are one busy lady. The blueberries are beautiful. Next winter, you need to tell us what you have made with all of the blueberries. I always love to hear about different recipes. Have a great week.

Michelle said...

Sheila, I can tell you now what most of the blueberries will be used for, and it's very simple – breakfast! Brian and I love them in our hot cereal; Rick puts them on his cold cereal. We ran out this year, so wanted to lay in plenty, but I think we may have gone a little overboard!

farmlady said...

That is more blueberries than I have seen, in one place, ever. You must be very tired. Are you going to write a Blueberry cookbook?
Lovely photos and oh, that yarn...

Susan said...

And I thought my 22# was something. Heavens! Are those all your berries? They are absolutely beautiful! Maybe I'll go west, instead of north, to do my picking next year ;o)

Michelle said...

No, sadly; our bushes should conceivably be able to produce this much if they were thriving, which they are not. These were picked at a commercial farm belonging to one of Rick's clients; their bushes are LOADED this year! They mostly machine-pick; I should have snapped a photo of the machine. There are lots of u-pick opportunities in the area, too, so come on out! ;-)

Mama Pea said...

Ummm, the shot of the blueberries is close to unbelievable! Makes the 2 cups I've gotten off our bushes so far look pretty pathetic!

Isn't it funny that when you make your weekend list you actually think you can get it all done? We never take into account how long each task will really take or how exhausted we will get while trying to plow through the list!

Sharrie said...

You make lists of things to do in a certain time like Jake does. He never gets a list finished in the time he proposed. You upset a lot of people with that shot of all the delicious blueberries They are gorgeous and so is the yarn.

Unknown said...

Well, I was overwhelmed with my 8lbs of blueberries which I made into 12 jars of jam and then froze the rest for my favorite blueberry muffins! Aren't you a tad "blueberried" out?! Always love the color of yarn you come up with!

I'll Pour said...

My goodness those are nice looking blueberries. What kind are they or do you have a secret to get such large and lush berries?

Michelle said...

Well, I thought we would pick around 35# of blueberries, not 135#! (Rick found another 15# bucket in his truck we overlooked when unloading). Picking, sorting and freezing that many took a long time; I finally finished today.

Michelle said...

Thanks, Sharrie!

Michelle said...

Dawn, I believe these are Dukes.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Amen sister. Wow on the blueberries!!!