Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Friends, fiber and flowers in the forest

A'camping we did go, a'camping we did go, hi-ho the merry-o a'camping we did go....

Cowboy Campmeeting 2012 was a great experience! The location (the Ochoco National Forest) was beautiful, the weather was perfect, the speakers were good, the wildflowers were plentiful, the company was excellent and I even got in some riding in spite of not taking a horse of my own.

Here's our camp:

And here's our view from camp:

Rick and the dogs relaxing in the shade:

Brian riding in the kids' playday:

Trailriding with Rick and Laura (I was riding Brian's pony; the next day I rode with Laura using Rick's horse):


Even watering one's horse is a serene experience in the wilderness. (I counted five kinds of butterflies around this watering hole!)

Laura came up to visit on Wednesday since we weren't too far from her home, and liked what she saw so much that she came back with her horse Tang and dog Lyra on Thursday to camp the rest of the time with us. I so enjoy Laura's company and it was great having a fellow fiberholic there. Not that we were the only ones, but more on that later. First, a few (of many varieties) of wildflowers in bloom:




I spun at every meeting; doing something with my hands like that helps me listen. After the very first meeting I attended, a gentleman came up and introduced himself as a fellow spinner, and also a weaver. Of course I had to introduce Laura to him when she came; here they are looking at some of Ralph’s beautiful handwoven rugs:

We have an annual benefit auction (it helps pays for port-potties, which are greatly appreciated), and Ralph donated one of his rugs. I was SO tickled to get the high (LOW) bid! Laura wasn't there, and I don't think anyone else knew what they were missing out on:

I never touched the washed fleece (Brava's neck wool) I took along to monkey-pick, but I did finish spinning and plying the last of Inky's roving
and started on a sample braid of BFL/silk:

I also started a pair of slipper socks and made headway on my friend's going-away shawl. Considering that she is leaving next Wednesday morning early, I'd better spend my free time on that for the next week (with daily token spinning on spindle and miniSpinner for the Tour de Fleece).

That's the Cowboy Campmeeting report from . . .

5 comments:

Kim said...

Looks like fun. Just proves you can do Tour de Fleece anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Looks so beautiful and serene! Made enough better with horses and fiber friends. :) Congrats on winning the Ralph's rug! I bet he was thrilled it went to a home he knows truly appreciates the work involved.

thecrazysheeplady said...

That looks like so much fun!

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Looks like a wonderful time Michelle!

Tina T-P said...

Looks like you had a good and relaxing time. Love the wild flowers! T.