Monday, May 16, 2011

And it's not even weaning time yet!

At least the baa-ing I hear through closed windows is of a mellower timber than strident lamb calls.

This is about Inky. While the rest of the ewes and lambs dash out to pasture and graze most of the day,
Inky hobbles out slowly and stiffly, and spends most of the day lying down.

Lately I've noticed Barrister, Katie's 9 1/2-week-old ram lamb, harassing my old girl, chasing her around and trying to mount her. She expends too much energy trying to evade him, and the effort leaves her even more stiff. So last week I decided that Barrister could hang out in the wooded lot with Bramble during the day (at night Inky has her own protected corner in the fold).
The wooded lot is "lamb-proof" but the center pasture is not. The younger three lambs couldn't figure out why Barrister wasn't out on the driveway for lamb races as usual!
(I really should add a wire barrier to that gate!)

Rick wondered why I didn't put Inky out with her daughter Bramble instead of separating Barrister when I really wasn't trying to wean him. He thought it would cut down on the noise. Yeah; right. I tried the new arrangement this morning, and Inky and Bramble are making just as much noise today as Bramble, Barrister and Katie did last time. This is why I don't think it makes any difference in noise level whether one weans their lambs days or weeks before taking them to a show, or weans them BY taking them to a show. When there is a change, sheep make noise. Period. BAAAAAAAAA!

That's it for today from . . .

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Poor Inky, it really is not fun to hobble about. I'm planted garden this weekend and I am in the same boat as your hobbling sheep. 42 hills of potatoes, what on earth am I thinking? lol

Tammy said...

My old girl, Rouen, is doing a little better than Inky, but some days she really is stiff. Had a real time with her after shearing. With summer coming on she is doing loads better, but still it's hard to see them failing. She has always been such a character. Now she enjoys her extra treats and grain while I guard her, but sometimes the younger ewes will get her messed up in their rough housing while out in the pasture. It makes me upset, but I know she would have a fit if I tried to separate her. You are so right about the sheep and racket! They certainly don't handle 'change' and any sort of sheep separating very well. It can drive you mad. I was surprised at how easy it was to wean the pups (and they can be loudmouthed) compared to the long agonizing drama of the weaning the lambs. Good luck and I hope that Inky will feel better.
Tammy

Michelle said...

Thanks, Tammy. I haven't scissor-sheared Inky yet because it's been pretty cool; there's no way I'd put her through the contortions of professional shearing. I was going to give her a sub-Q shot of banamine to help her feel better then start her on regular glucosamine to see if that keeps her more comfortable until we decide it's time to put her down, but I couldn't access an easy spot to give it. It IS terribly hard to face this with the creatures in our care....

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

Oh poor ol girl...makes me so sad...
What a magical world you have around you Michelle...you inspired one of my landscape creations and I won 4th place with this tribute to your world...I hope you like how it turned out...sending you all love from the cozy cottage
http://www.polyvore.com/boulderneigh_farm/set?id=31471716

Anonymous said...

We weaned this weekend, and with only 4 sheep on our 5 acres, it sounds like 50! The twins are together in one paddock and RIGHT next to them (so they can see each other and touch noses) are Momma Staci and Aunt Two. Oh my goodness. It doesn't matter that the girls have barely been nursing at all, they are screaming bloody murder. This is my first weaning experience. Next year ought to be interesting when we have more than one ewe with lambs.

IsobelleGoLightly said...

What a lovely old lady! We love the old'uns here at our farm. Very special. I like the photo of the separated lambs! They are indeed asking what the heck is going on! tee hee.