Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bad bread salvation

Okay, it's not really bad, in that it is edible, but my last batch of bread definitely leaves something to be desired - namely salt. So today I used up most of a loaf making bread pudding, and it is AWESOME! I found a recipe on the internet and tweaked it to make it my own (of course); I'll share it below. (Note: my home-dried, unsweetened Royal Anne cherries make this recipe, so if you don't have any on hand, you will miss out on the awesomeness and probably just land in "good" territory. Also, I didn't list the salt I added for what went missing in the bread.)

Cherry Chocolate Whole Wheat Bread Pudding
9 slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1" cubes (I used generous slices of my homemade Flax Prairie Bread, recipe below. If you use store-bought, you'll probably need to use more slices.)
4 eggs
1 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
1 1/4 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup dried cherries
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Beat together eggs, liquids and sugar, and pour over bread cubes in a big bowl. Let sit for at least five minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in cherries and chocolate chips. Pour into a 2-quart casserole greased with real butter, and bake at 325° for 55 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream (Rick's choice) or fat-free half-and-half (my choice). Moan and groan; have seconds.
Below is my bread recipe, modified from one from the Flax Council of Canada. It makes a four-loaf batch, and gets raves from nearly everyone. The original recipe is for a bread machine; if you would like that version, email me.

Flax Prairie Bread
5 cups warm water
8 teaspoons fast rising instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
dash of ginger powder
12 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/3 cups flax seed, ground (I use a little coffee mill)
2 tablespoons salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil (can use a little less)
1 cup honey (or less, depending on your preference)
3/4 cup raw sunflower kernels

Combine the first four ingredients and let sit until yeast bubbles. Mix in half the flour, then the flax, sunflower seeds and salt, then the oil and honey, then the last half of the flour. Kneed thoroughly, form into four loaves, and put in 100° oven to rise. When you poke a loaf with your fingertip and the dent remains, turn oven up to 350° (without removing the bread pans) and set timer for 30 minutes. Done!

That's it for now at . . .

4 comments:

Molly Bee said...

Bread Pudding is my go to comfort food! And being the only one around here, I always have lots of stale bread around. Can't wait to try your recipe!

Claire MW said...

Wow, that does look yummy. Kelly says chocolate chips don't belong in bread pudding but I so disagree with him. I have to make him his own separate one if I make it. He hates raisins too. Maybe he would like the dried cherries. I think they have them at Costco - not as good as yours of course, but they'd do in a pinch.

Michelle said...

MollyBee, I used fresh bread in mine, so I don't know about stale bread....

Claire, I don't like raisins, either, but chocolate chips are good in EVERYthing! :-) The problem with the Costco cherries is that, just like "craisins," they're sweetened. My home-dried ones aren't, and the strong, tangy flavor really sets off the chocolate chips and bread pudding.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I have never had bread pudding. Yours sounds yummy! I really like flax, too.
I could eat flax crisp chips all day :)

I'll have to try this when I'm able to get back into my kitchen full time.

~Lisa