Thursday, October 09, 2008

What is it with the corner nest box?

You would think they could at least take turns! There ARE two other nest boxes, but the majority of the eggs are laid in the corner "office." Go figure; it doesn't even have a window!

"Fall dog" (not to be confused with Fail Blog; Boulderneigh is a family-friendly site!).

Butter Baby getting some love from Brian. In a couple more weeks she and a wether will be separated from the ewes and their new beau, Franjean. But which wether will stay? I can't decide between Browning, with his lustrous dark moorit fleece, and Blizz, with his big crimpy grey fleece. Blizz is friendlier, but that may not matter if he spends most of the year with Braveheart (it's hard to love on the wether without encouraging the ram to be too familiar). Do you shepherds who are spinners or who at least sell fleeces and rovings have an opinion about which fleece would sell better, if I don't keep it all for myself?

Awaiting your response at . . .

6 comments:

Kara said...

That is a tough one Michelle. I will be interested in seeing the responses you get. I scrolled down to look, those two fleeces are wonderful but I think I would go for the moorit since you have an Ag ram you will get more grey in the future. But that grey is so nice! Let Brian pick.

Crosswinds Farm said...

My Ag grey ewe's handspun is always one of the first to sell (they like the blue/grey hue).....but that's here in Iowa, I don't know what your market is like there.

A Jackson said...

AG always sells more reliably than moorit. BUT moorit sells best in fall...

The chickens will all use the same box, and fight over it. They say one box for each 4 hens, but I only see 2 get used for as many as 30...so go figure.

Kathy said...

I agree with Allena. The grey fleeces tend to sell best because if you don't have white, light greys can be dyed as well. That being said, I would also look at the fineness and density of the fleeces. I might pick a finer, heavier fleece over a lighter one.

Yup...all my chickens like the same box and I'll see four of them trying to fit in there at times. That's chicken brains for you! :)

Gone2theDawgs said...

My chickie girls seem to like the corner "suite" as well. Most of the eggs can be found there. I always figured it was because it was the furthest from the doors. I agree with Kara, I think you should let Brian pick which wether gets to stay seeing as he's given up his favorite girls. :( (good for me though!) :)

Anonymous said...

Well, it makes gathering the eggs easier anyway, I would think.