Friday, October 24, 2008

Our first SIX-egg day!

Yesterday the hens gave us SIX eggs, but I must say I'm still waiting impatiently for our first "chocolate" egg. (The friend who did chores for us while we were in Texas didn't get any; I asked.) I have never seen Welsie in a nesting box, but I HAVE noticed that her comb has grown since she arrived a month ago:
When I compared the colors of five of the six eggs we got yesterday, I did notice that one of the brown eggs has a slightly darker, richer color than the others (clockwise from left: Tawny-the-Wyandotte's egg, the darker egg, a Rhodie egg, Ebony's egg, and Morgan's egg). Now I'm wondering if Welsie IS laying, but not "chocolate" eggs. I guess only time will tell!

Coming up a bit later - a closer look at the "man of the hour."

That's it for now at . . .

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Combs get redder when they start to lay. You can also check her "bum" - a laying hen will have a wider orafice that glistens. A non-layer will be tight and dry. I know...more than you EVER wanted to know, right? :)

Laura said...

The darker egg is Welsie's. Welsummers lay a darker brown egg than a Rhode Island, but not chocolate brown. For those, you need one of the Maran breeds (Cukoo maran, copper black maran, etc.).

I have welsummers and light brahmas - they're very easy to tell apart, since the brahma eggs are a light peachy tan.

Michelle said...

The Welsummer egg I saw in MO at Rick's cousin's place was a lot darker than my darkest egg. I'm just going to have to catch that girl and examine her bum! I'm hoping to see "non-layer" traits so I can still hope for "chocolate" eggs. :-)

Michelle said...

Laura, after following Kathy's tips, I do believe you are right. I'm disappointed that they aren't darker, but hey, they all taste the same!