Monday, October 27, 2008

Lovely, lovely light

Morning light:
Evening light:
Midday light:
Cloudy bright:
ALL the light is lovely this glorious time of year! While we may not have as much color in our indigenous flora as the east does, I think the color in the agricultural crops (above you see cherry trees and blueberry bushes; the vineyards are turning gold) and landscaping plantings more than make up for it. And as my friend Kathleen says, the colors contrast so nicely with the ubiquitous Douglasfirs.

Of course, perfect Indian summer days increase the sensory pleasures a hundredfold. Today on the way home from Brian's violin lesson, we took the time to do something I've long wanted to do - follow the signs for "U-pick kiwis." We turned west in Dundee and headed up into the hills, past acres and acres of vineyards,to HB&K Farms (which stands for honey, bees and kiwis).While our eyes feasted on more fall color,Brian and I sampled our first "baby kiwis" - small fruits as soft and fuzz-free as a newborn baby's bottom. Yum! We headed into the trellised vines to pick - not these hard, fuzzy things- we want THESE tasty morsels!
Before leaving Dundee I pulled into a parking lot to confirm my suspicions. Indeed, the business that used to reside in the commercial space behind that brilliant young tree, Pacific Wool and Fiber, is gone. But I checked for a web presence when I got home and see that they have only moved to the next town, Newberg, so we haven't lost a local resource for fiber addicts. Whew!

That's it for now at . . .

5 comments:

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Beautiful colors!

Kathy said...

Oh, no! You ate baby people from NZ or baby flightless birds! LOL!

(My SIL was fast to tell me that the fruit are always called "kiwifruit" by NZers, so now that is imprinted on my mind and always think of it when I hear someone ate a kiwi. :)

Pamela said...

Gorgeous colors! And those kiwifruits look delicous.

I have to agree with you about autumn light. It's the most beautiful--something about it just makes the fall foliage glow.

Kara said...

U pick Kiwis! So cool! The u-pick crops here are apples of course, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, and pumpkins (not necessarily in that order). Beautiful pictures. I love the pictures in the different "lights". I have to do search your archives for chicken info now :)

Deborah Niemann said...

Gorgeous colors! And I had no idea that kiwis could grow in Oregon! Hmm ... wonder if they'll grow in IL?