Thursday, October 02, 2008

Another one to keep my eye on

This morning while doing chores, Ebony laid one of her lovely green eggs. As I was finishing chores, I noticed Morgan was in a nest box, so I decided to hang out in the chicken yard until there was a pretty pink egg to take up to the house, too. Oreo saw me standing there, unoccupied, and pushed through the unlatched gate to join me - in the chicken yard! She's a little cat so I wasn't really worried for the hens, but her boldness surprised me. She checked out all the accoutrements of the henhouse,and then noticed Morgan.She actually batted at Morgan with a paw, but Morgan was in the process of laying her egg and paid no attention. I gently collected the egg, then removed Oreo and ova and securely latched the gate - can't have a cat figuring out the superior eating qualities of farm-fresh eggs! (If you look in the comments to my last post, you'll see that someone else's cat has figured out just that!)

Here are the Easter Eggers' eggs with one from a Rhode Island Red. Yes, chickens and the eggs they produce are a never-ending source of edibles, entertainment and "art" around here!

That's it for now from the henhouse at . . .

4 comments:

Pamela said...

I love the green egg, but that pink one is gorgeous!

I don't think I've ever seen one even close to that color.

Still picking up my jaw from the chicken not panicking when she saw the cat in there. Of course, your cat seems much better behaved than our Spot and Not Spot. (Spot actually tried to bring down one of the horses once....a cat with ambition for sure!)

Michelle said...

Oh my, your ambitious cat story made me laugh out loud!

I was surprised to find out we have a pink-egg-laying Easter Egger; was disappointed at first that they aren't blue, but that feeling passed. :-) As you know, they are ALL wonderful, no matter the color!

Unknown said...

Such a fun group of women we are, fussing over how exciting egg laying is....I love it! Perhaps there is a tax break out there for women like us:)

Tammy said...

What a pretty clutch of eggs! That is a funny story about the cat that tried to take down the horse. :-) My kitties roam amongst the chickens all the time and they all get along fine. Never have had the cats snatch an egg so far.
Tammy