Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Sum-sum-sometime

As in, SOMEtime I might find time and inspiration to blog!

Rural living definitely falls on the crazy end of "those lazy-hazy-crazy days of summer." Keeping the garden watered, weeded, and picked is almost a full-time summer job in and of itself. I've picked another mess of snow peas and strawberries (shared some of the former with my MIL and have 17 pints of the latter in the freezer, besides what we've enjoyed fresh), plus a handful of sweet banana peppers. I need to pick again, with or without a certain furry someone inserting himself into my labors.






Getting the year's supply of hay in the barn is another seasonal necessity. Early Sunday morning Brian headed off to stack hay for someone else (he actually brought all his grades up to at least B- by the end of the school year, so he is allowed to drive again). Rick and I thought we had 70 bales of first cutting to pick up from our hay guy, but when I called he said it ended up being wetter than he likes and wanted us to wait on the second cutting he's putting up now. So I got busy pulling tansy ragwort in our pastures and Rick wielded the shovel against thistles. Several years of consistently waging war against noxious weeds has visibly thinned enemy ranks, but there are always invaders to fight back every year; I really appreciate Rick helping on the battle front this year.

Next I caught Bree so I could snip off her beautiful fleece. Wool was peeling off her neck and hanging loose on her belly, so eliminating the unmarketable parts went quickly. Scissor-shearing the rest of her fleece was a pleasant task because it wasn't as dense and tight to her skin as some of the others have been.


Hmm, I see the fluff wasn't ALL wool!

When Brian got home, he and Rick headed off to the river to fish (no bites, just bonding time), while I replenished our bread supply and made a nice supper to celebrate Fathers Day when they got home. We had a big bowl of pesto snow pea pasta (with freshly harvested ingredients from the garden) and cheesecake topped with raspberry puree from my dwindling freezer supply of berries. Rick has been working on our berry patch, but I doubt we'll get enough of anything but currants and marionberries to put in the freezer; our raspberries and boysenberries have all but died out. 😭

I was determined to ride Sunday night after having it crowded out for a week and a half, but after I put on my breeches Rick offered to finally treat my ram's injured knee. The boys have been cooped up in the extra stall for way too long, waiting for Brian to finish cleaning the Ram-ada Inn and Rick to treat Blake, so what could I do but put my chore jeans back on and play vet assistant? Afterwards we moved the boys back to the Ram-ada Inn (even though Brian didn't ever finish cleaning it out) so Blake can recuperate without tussling with the others but still be next to them; Rick will treat Blake again in a couple weeks.

There have been so many gorgeous sunsets recently; every single one is a gift. Since gifts are for giving, I'm sharing some with you. 😊










Some are from around town because of the meetings, some are from a walk with my honey up the hill, and the last one was taken from our deck last night.

Finally, there is nothing like having a good dog happy to see you when you get home after a long day at work:
Thank God for dogs!

That's it for now from . . .

12 comments:

C-ingspots said...

I SO agree - thank God for dogs!! :) Your sunset shots are beautiful Michelle. Our strawberries are dwindling and I haven't put any in the freezer yet. We just keep eating them fresh. I might have to go find a u-pick place soon.

Mama Pea said...

Busy, busy, busy is the word for sure! Our snow peas are about 3" high (the vines, I mean) and our strawberries are still only in the blossom stage. My main garden work has been weeding and a little replanting because of our still too cool summer. Without sun and warmth, it seems nuthin' out there wants to grow!

You are really in a good spot to capture all those beautiful sunsets. And I know all your livestock (including dogs!) adds so much to your life.

Leigh said...

I don't know which is more glorious, your strawberries or your sky! Appreciating the beautiful things is so important during the busy season of summer.

Debbie said...

Thank you for the beautiful photos!

Doggy, kitty, the skies above bounties from your garden and Bree!

Made my day.

Michelle said...

I enjoyed your dog's "gotcha day" story, Lorie. I don't think we could keep up with our berries by eating them fresh!

Your cooler weather sounds good to me, Mama Pea, but I know it would hamper production. I hope you get a growing season!

Thanks, Leigh; there are so many blessings all around. :-D

You're welcome, Debbie!

Retired Knitter said...

Great post - just a little bit of this and that. I have been off my blogging cycle (once again) but will be picking it up again soon.

thecrazysheeplady said...

We are in a hay crunch again this year and it's obvious we won't be looking to IN or OH for hay either :-/. I've got fresh rhubarb I need to go pick. Wish I had a few strawberries to go with it.

Michelle said...

Thanks, Elaine. By the time I sit down to do another post, it seems a whole lot of "this and that" has collected in my mind and photo file – sometimes too much to include!

I'm so sorry, Sara; when you have grazers, hay stress is TERRIBLE. I'd share some strawberries if I could!

wyomingheart said...

Momma always says" Busy Hands are Happy Hands!" Well, this time of year, most of us have some ecstatic hands! Thanks for the awesome western skies and Yes, Thank God for our dogs!

Susan said...

Having fallen behind on my own blog, I heartily agree that this year is a busy time! I'm so glad you have a garden 'helper'...although it looks as if he lying down on the job. Such beautiful sheep and such beautiful fleece - and such beautiful skies. There is nothing whatsoever as wonderful as a dog to greet you at the end of the day. xo

Mokihana said...

What wonderful photos! No wonder you're so busy... and having an Aussie to greet you at the end of the day is perfection!

FullyFleeced said...

yep, a happy dog face makes even the most trying day brighter :)