Wednesday, June 28, 2017

I'd invite you in, but....

There's a first time for everything

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful;
hate me because I stink"

SKUNKED!

Sometimes coming up with a satisfactory title is the hardest part of creating a blog post – not this time!

Late last night I headed out to shut the chicken pop door and Jackson went with me. He took off in the dark after something; I thought it was the big doe pictured yesterday, because she's been hanging around and on our lot, probably with a fawn hidden nearby. Strange, though, he never made a peep. As I walked down the driveway he joined me, shaking his head and sneezing. I thought I smelled something, but it wasn't "skunk." Still, it was rank. I came in and searched the internet to see if some other animal can "make stink" and quickly determined – through my search and the growing pungency of my dog – that he had, indeed, confronted a skunk, and time was of the essence to ameliorate the aroma. I mixed up hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and Dawn dish soap while Rick attached a hose to the garage sink faucet, and Jackson got a midnight bath. Unfortunately, his face was/is the stinkiest part of him and I had to be careful around his eyes. I don't think he got a big blast, as he never foamed at the mouth or acted frantic, the one eye he was squinting quickly recovered, and the rest of him doesn't smell bad. Still, our house is not going to be suitable for company for awhile . . . and since we are leaving tomorrow for Cowboy Campmeeting, he's going to stink up our camper, too! (Yes, we have to take the dogs with us; no, there is nowhere else they can ride; and no, we don't have a secure place to keep our dogs unattended on our property.)

There's no time to dwell on what I can't change; today I'm scrambling around loading the camper and horse trailer, watering the garden and as much of the landscaping as I can, gathering supplies for the start of the Tour de Fleece, getting a haircut, etc. etc. etc. Here's an update on the garden; it's looking pretty good!

That's it for today and probably for a week from . . .

8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Garden's looking good! I think I can get a slight whiff of Jackson right through the ethernet. At least if anyone looks at you "funny" during the camping trip, you've got the explanation right there. Have fun and enjoy yourselves!

Retired Knitter said...

Do you need someone for the sheep when you are gone?

Susan said...

It's all in the timing, isn't it? Hopefully, it will wear off fast! Have a great time!

Theresa said...

Oh gosh, Rodger the cat got sprayed one time. Giving a cat a bath is not fun. He didn't smell bad unless he got wet, keep Jackson dry is all I can offer. Oh and have fun!

Mokihana said...

Oh no!! We have skunks around here and I've actually taken some stealth photos of them. Fortunately, I've never gotten skunked, and my beloved Aussie died several years ago, to I don't have to worry about anything happening to her.

A friend of mine has a formula for washing her dogs who got skunked; it worked so well that the same night they could sleep in the bedroom with her and her husband. I'm gonna check and see what it was; it sounds very similar to yours.

Have a lovely time while you're gone! See you on the Tour!

Bill said...

We let our lab out one night for her pre-bedtime potty break. She quickly returned, acting strangely, running around the house frantically rubbing up against the furniture. You know where this is going. She'd been skunked and before we realized what was happening had spread her misfortune all over our house. Hope you got it contained better than we did. :)

John Russel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Russel said...

Hi, the post seems quite resourceful and I must thank you for the efforts.
climbingreviewed