Sunday, January 03, 2016

Let there be . . . white

Notice I didn't say "light." Without the fresh covering of snow we awoke to this morning, it would have been a very dim day indeed.
I was ready to move the Christmas tree out of the way to maximize available daylight – and minimize associated detritus.

When uploading these photos, I realized I didn't post the photos I took Sunday while doing sheep maintenance. They can wait until tomorrow, though, because when checking email this afternoon, I got a sobering Facebook update. Kelley, whom I first knew through our homeschool co-op, then as a co-worker for the past year-plus, has been battling cancer since mid-September, not with any hope of beating it, but to gain more time with her family. They had a family trip to Disneyland scheduled the week of January 10; it's not going to happen.

We are home, home sweet home. This is our 2nd day here, and it is great to be here. Kelley made the trip from OHSU to our living room, and at this point there is only one more trip that she'll have to make, and that will be on the Glory Train. We are home with hospice, and she has her mind on heaven. Kelley will bypass the happiest place on earth and head to the happiest place anywhere.

We are all sleeping in the living room, with Kelley in the middle of it, waiting for her to board the train. I'm so blessed to watch my three kids take care of their momma in these last few hours, they haven't left her side. Of course not, she never left theirs when they needed her. She trained them well. So the next time you'll hear from me is when Kelley has entered the presence of her King.

This will be the fifth death in our tightknit homeschool co-op group in less than five years, people my age or younger, people with children still living at home. It's not getting any easier to deal with; I bundled up and headed down to see my 'mental health mustang.'

"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way; when sorrow like sea billows roll; whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'"


5 comments:

Susan said...

My thoughts and prayers are with Kelley and her family. And with you.

Florida Farm Girl said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your friend is slipping away. May she go in peace and comfort. Hugs, dear girl.

Retired Knitter said...

I think God created animals and nature because he knew that his final creation, man, would not be able to cope with some stuff. How sad it is for some humans who do not understand the healing nature of animals. My grand dogs have served as therapy dogs for our family too many times. My thoughts are with you in this sad time.

A :-) said...

I am so sorry. :-(

Anonymous said...

Hugs and prayers going out to you and the family.