Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Pretty perfect

I've been home a week as of last night and like the burgeoning biomass outside, my photo files/blog fodder are running rampant. Today is my best opportunity to wrangle those photos and thoughts into a blog post so bear with me; it'll likely be a big 'un.

On the flight home, my itinerary included a long stop in Austin, TX. I'd never been there, so I walked from one end of the smallish terminal to the other while I waited, seeing much to appreciate. Local eateries, lots of art installations, equal-opportunity parenting facilities, cupcake vending machines (plural), and live music.
A friend saw this on Instagram and asked if it was me and Poppy. 🧐





Landing in Portland always raises my spirits. Beauty can be found anywhere, but NW Oregon resonates with my soul like no other place.



Instead of bustling off to work the next day, I stayed home. I figured my boss had managed without me for two weeks; she could manage one more day and I would just go in on Thursday as usual. Nearly strained my arm patting myself on the back I did, it was so blissful to take a day to check in with all my animals and ease back into my home responsibilities. The lambies have grown, of course, and all three of them got 'snuggle time' before I let them out to graze along the driveway edges.



Bad photo but wonderful moment; heretofore Boop has been very skittish.







I realized after that first day, though, that the foxtail awns weren't mature yet, so the ewes and lambs have been getting lots of pasture time. That is a great blessing as our sheep hay supply is running very low and the cost of hay, if one can even find any, is running very high.
"The grass is as high as a Shetland ewe's eye"



When the sheep are out, Poppy doesn't get to run around the property. She thinks it's great fun to 'play' with sheep and horses, but that is likely to end in disaster for either other animals or her. I took her for a walk one day and Bling was close to the fence when we returned. Poppy was so excited to see her (not as) little friend; Bling was far less sure. Another time Brian had Bling out when Poppy and I headed to the barn; visually they are about the same size now, although Poppy weighs more.



I've gotten two more fleeces harvested since getting home. Berlin's first shearing is just stunning, even though she was a complete idiot on the blocking stand. (She's now back in with the other ewes and behaving herself.) Blaise's fleece lifted off with barely a tug; she had a complete break in her fleece, no doubt from nearly dying back in March. She is still thin, so she got wormed and is getting extra groceries. Next up is Bing, so he and Spot can go out into the wooded lot and graze on what's grown up there instead of eating precious hay....





Both yearling Berlin and petite Blaise are wearing size C coats after shearing


Chuckie was as happy as ever to have me home and paying attention to him:










I don't like the brownish cast of Chuckie's coat. Poppy's 'beauty treatment' (grabbing Chuckie by the head or neck and rolling him around on the wet driveway) isn't helping his appearance any!

Let's finish up with some beauty shots from around the place:
Japanese maples mingling

the last of the apple blossoms





That's one big update from . . .

11 comments:

Leigh said...

A cupcake vending machine?!?!? Wow, what an idea!

I'm glad you had a good trip, and I know how great it feels to get home. I love how your critters are all so glad to see you. Makes for very fun photos.

Mama Pea said...

Aw, Chuckie! I'm not a cat person, but it's hard to resist his loving personality. And Leigh is right. Your animals all know who their bestest mama is! Hope you don't have to leave too soon again. Snuggle in and enjoy being home.

Michelle said...

Leigh: I know (on the cupcakes); right? I'm too cheap to have bought one (and cake is not my favorite dessert, no matter the shape), but they seemed popular.

Mama Pea: Certain cats, like Chuckie, are vey endearing. Good thing, as he's a terrible mouser! I'm sure I'll have to go to TX again several times, sooner AND later....

Florida Farm Girl said...

Home, sweet home. Nothing like it. Glad you're back.

Donna Schoonover said...

I am glad you are home with your critters. Lovely photos.

A :-) said...

I always thought Chuckie was black and white. I know you're so glad to be home.

Michelle said...

Sue: I am, too!

Thanks, Donna.

A: Chuckie HAS been black and white; that's why the brown is concerning.

Mountaingmom said...

Glad you are back on home turf for now, giving your critters love and sharing the gorgeous flower pictures with us.

Retired Knitter said...

Home again with your animals! Where you are supposed to be!

wyomingheart said...

Oh Michelle…thank you so much for the pics of that Rock Star! He is very precious! Is his coat brown from sun shine? Have a good sabbath, and great Sunday!

Mokihana said...

I'm so glad you're home safe and sound, and I loved seeing all your photos. I know it takes time to write and post photos, so I'm especially happy that you took the time to do so. Thank you!