Friday, February 19, 2021

Taking stock


The day turned gray and wet after this pretty sunrise, but I still walked around documenting the ice storm damage. I took photos on my way to the barn, around the 'barn yard,' up to the entry gate, and back up to the house. We obviously have a big mess to clean up, but how blessed we were that the only structures to sustain any damage were fences and gates! The angels must have spread their wings over our little henhouse, overarched as it is with Big Leaf Maples that were snapping and crashing around it.


















In the middle of my survey, I turned Stella out in the arena to let her stretch her legs and crack her back. She was interested in the big maple limb that protruded into the arena by the gate; after she took off to play, I heaved it over to a safer position on the ground outside.



It has been wonderful to be free to move around, but I admit to not being nearly as active as Stella today. The second COVID shot is making me more achey than the first one did, although Tylenol and Advil together are keeping it to a dull roar. But the day isn't over yet and I will tackle a few more tasks inside, and make a trip over the hill to the nearest post office.

How are the rest of you faring???

That's it for now from . . .


8 comments:

A :-) said...

I have heard from a number of people that the side-effects from the second shot were worse than the first. It's just your body building a strong immune response :-) Shouldn't last too long I don't think.

Michelle said...

I've taken a Tylenol and an Advil together a total of three times today, and by tonight I hardly notice the effects, A.

Retired Knitter said...

Yes, my daughter had similar reactions to each of the shots. She is now fully vaccinated. My husband and I are still struggling to get onto someone’s list somewhere. We are on the health department list and although our state labeled us as 1C and eligible now - getting the vaccine is hard because they don’t have enough. So the health department is still vaccinating the 1B group. And other sites will give you the shot if you are 1C but when I check them for an appointment they are always booked up. But so far just staying distant and using the CDC guidelines has kept us well. So we can be patient.

That Stella - so graceful.

Retired Knitter said...

Oh I wanted to comment on your damage! That was a lot! It is pretty obvious that this kind of ice event is not even close to the norm in your area since nature was hit so hard as to severely damage so much. Please take your time and don’t overdo.

Tim B. Inman said...

We have ice like you experienced fairly often. It is horrible and so destructive. We survived -27F actual temps this week with about 1 ft of snow. Supposed to be in the 30's today, with 40's all next week. It is a tough climate. But we like it this way! Glad you're on the mend and active. I'm still to healthy to get the jabs...waiting patiently.

Michelle said...

Elaine, my dear Dutch friends who are in their 90s were supposed to get their first shots last week, but their appointment was postponed because the bad weather all over the country delayed vaccine shipments. I'm hoping to take them in for their shots next week.

Tim, the winter we lived in north central Minnesota, the locals talked about "nine months of winter and three months of bad sledding," and that they liked their winters because it kept the riffraff out! Ha! I must admit that I like it out here in NW Oregon MUCH better....

Florida Farm Girl said...

Yep, you have some clean up to do but you can get to it as you can. Nothing demands immediate attention. I'm glad you got your second dose of vaccine and that you're up, out and about again. Come on spring!

Jeanne said...

Oh my!! Your place did get a lot of damage! My son, who lives in the Portland area, sent me a picture of the snow and ice on his car. It's enough to cure a lot of people of wanting to live near that beautiful city! He and his wife did not lose power, but my sister, who lives just a few miles further south, lost the power, and thankfully, her daughter and son-in-law could take her in. She's back home now.

I was able to get my first COVID vaccine yesterday, at a drive-thru clinic set up by a small local medical office, helped by the city of Oakridge. We actually got to drive into the fire hall, to get the shots. Waited the 15 minutes, and were then released. They have enough vaccine to do the second round of injections in four weeks. I'm amazed that they were able to get the vaccine! Thankful, too!