Sunday, October 20, 2019

Going visiting after church



After an inspiring service and a glorious drive home yesterday, I decided to go visiting. (Rick and Brian went on an emergency vet call after church.)

I haven't spent any quality time with my ewes in too long! Sarai's twins Bardot (the gray 'mop-top') and Bridget were the first up and pushiest. (Sarai said 'hi' and then back to eating.)




Beautiful Blaise, who will hopefully have more beautiful black gulmogets next spring!


Bree and her daughter Bette quietly ask to get in on the love-fest.
(That's their aloof dam/granddam Vienna chewing cud in the background.)

Bernadette slipped in the back for a chin rub.

It was a lovely way to spend the afternoon at . . .

7 comments:

wyomingheart said...

Thank you. I love love love all those precious brown eyes! Are they always so friendly? My neighbors have hair sheep, and I give them carrots everyday, and they still after a year, won’t let me touch them. Great pics!

Michelle said...

Yes wyomingheart, mine are always that friendly if I sit down and take time – plus, it TOOK time to get them that friendly. I don't use treats, but rather, when I halter for any reason, I try to make time to pet and scratch, finding where they like it and then showing them how nice contact can feel. If I buy a new sheep (It's been awhile!), I keep them in a smaller quarantine pen and do the above more intensely; lambs born here don't take as much convincing.

A :-) said...

It's nice to see the sheep :-)

Tim B. Inman said...

Great pics. Thanks. You live in a beautiful place. FYI, although I'm sure the covers on the sheep must be a common thing for you 'woolies', it is totally new to me - and it just cracks me up thinking they're wearing dinner jackets. My own 'inside' fun, but still. It makes me smile. Thanks for that!

Jeanne said...

Your sheep are so much fun to see! I'm glad they're loving and gentle!

I have a question though - Can you please explain what a "hair sheep" is? I've never heard the term before.

Michelle said...

Glad you enjoyed the pictures, A!

Tim, I wouldn’t say sheep coats are common; it really depends on one’s situation and husbandry practices. Since I have to feed hay much of the year, the coats keep the fleeces MUCH cleaner and they sell well.

Jeanne, look up St. Croix and Katahdin sheep, two examples of hair breeds. They are bred for meat, not wool.

Leigh said...

Such sweet sheep faces! What a treat.