Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Burgeoning

And I'm not just talking flora and fauna! But the grass and leaves are busting out all over, along with the continuing spring flower brigade:

Fallen pieris bells look like pale pomegranate seeds
The garden isn't burgeoning yet, except for the rhubarb – and weeds
With Brian gone this week, I let my boss at the office know I'd have more availability to help with the  imminent move. My friend of the New Year's Day wreck had also asked if I'd be willing to put in some rides on her horse before she gets back on, so I told Kate this would be a good week for that, too. And somehow I thought I'd be able to get more fleeces harvested, and start skirting.... In my mind it all works, you know; why does everything take more time in real life? 🤔

Brian cleaned the henhouse before he left

The boys are shut in so their feet can dry out

Yesterday morning I scurried around doing chores and preparing the stall and barn for the arrival of another horse. The weather, which was forecast to be wet, looked better and better, so I decided to exercise Lance (who had been cooped up for three days) while waiting for Kate; we finished just before she arrived.
We put Dinah in the arena while we unloaded feed and tack, then I saddled up and rode horse #2.

After showering, I headed in to work for what I thought would be a couple hours of packing files into boxes. But plans had morphed and it ended up being six hours of packing, loading, driving, and unloading – up a flight of stairs to our new second-story space. 😳

Last night Rick and I were both too pooped to party; me from my long, physical day, him from being out half the night before on veterinary emergencies. We watched the end of the Portland Trailblazers' second play-off game (which they won against the Oklahoma Thunder) and collapsed into bed.

We're starting to look as gimpy as our old bulldog, but you gotta use it to not lose it completely. So this morning we carried the big extension ladder up from the barn so Rick could clean out the clogged chimney topper before leaving for work. Don't know that we'll need the wood-burner again until fall, but it needed doing.

That's it for now from . . .

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

You really do get a lovely spring in your part of the country. Such blooms and greenery. Sigh, I can vicariously enjoy all of it.

Your chimney sweep husband looks as though he's perched rather precariously on top of that ladder. I tend to be home (just in case) but not look when Papa Pea cleans our chimneys.

I must have missed something. Where did your son go this week? Good job on the chicken house before he left. It always looks so good right after a good cleaning.

Retired Knitter said...

Oh my. That last picture with your husband up on the ladder made me nervous. I am not good with heights - for me or anyone else. hahaha!

Michelle said...

Mama Pea and Elaine, the extension ladder has a big crossbar brace on the top of it that he put on top of the framed structure around the chimney, so it was very stable. Still, there is always a little concern!

Mama Pea, Brian is at outdoor school this week; his whole high school goes to a marine research station on the Washington coast each spring!

Susan said...

As always, your photographs are just stunning! I will have to say that that shot from your handsome mustang is one of my all-time favorites! Sometimes I think our thoughts tend to treat time like the magic tents in Harry Potter stories. I had to get a grip on my desk with that last photograph. I have acrophobia and it's not getting better with age! I can get palpitations just looking at someone else high up!