Tuesday, March 05, 2019

Freeze-dried


After that glorious first day of March, the unusually cold weather of February continued – kinda sorta. Instead of snow, it's been sunny and windy, which feels more like the Midwest I remember than the Pacific NW. Everything looks and feels desiccated; there's not enough lotion to heal the painful cracks on my fingers and heels – but I think there is enough static electricity to power the house! It's a challenge to keep water open for the critters, and the bit of snow left in shaded areas is freeze-drying instead of melting. But today has felt a bit milder and moister, as some high clouds have moved in. There is both rain and snow in our forecast before temperatures moderate; Brian may have more snow delays or days yet.

The other night the tailless raccoon returned, looking for food; I was glad to see she still survives.

Sunday evening I made bread. It's a usual thing around here, but oh, so much nicer to turn the oven on in cold weather!

Rick and I have both been 'plying our crafts,' me here, there, and everywhere with a spindle and this delightful color-changing roving, Rick in his wood-shop with a gorgeous chunk of cherry.





The last of my orchid blossoms fell to the floor yesterday. I picked them up – and had an idea. Into that lovely bowl they went:

I'm so pleased with the results that I might enter the photo in a contest somewhere (without the 'signature'; what do you think?

At the recommendation of a friend, I've started the dogs on an oral OTC hyaluronic acid supplement. I haven't seen any change in Dozer, but it does seem to have helped Jackson some. He has been able to jump up on the bed again, after getting to the point where he couldn't, and has shown more interest in toys lately than he has in quite some time.


The supplement is no 'fountain of youth;' Jackson still struggles a bit to get up and moves more slowly now. I never would have caught him in a stand-still pose like this when he was younger!
After barn chores warmed me up this morning, I decided to stay outside and clean around the house while it was still dry. I swept the garage, and then took my broom and dustpan to the outside of the house. Chuckie had followed me from the barn.

 The steps down the south side of the house get covered with debris from the big evergreen there, and also grow a lot of moss. When it's dry, it scrapes off easily with the metal dustpan. In the photo below, I've scraped off the upper two step fronts but not the third yet.

Chuckie supervised, and enjoyed the sunshine. You know what they say. "Dogs have owners; cats have staff." 😁


That's it for today from . . .

13 comments:

Michelle said...

Are you staff, or an owner? ;-)

Amanda said...

Is Chuckie filling out to his mature size, or is that his winter coat that's making him look so much bigger these days?

Michelle said...

Amanda, he's not yet a year old, so I don't know if he'll grow more or not. He has definitely filled out and has grown a plush winter coat since he came here, but I don't think his frame hasn't gotten bigger.

Theresa said...

With 7 ...staff. HA! Spinning looks lovely.

Retired Knitter said...

I am staff - I actually own a cat but as you know cats are not owned by anybody. I have 3 grand dogs, however, and so I have the ownership experience. Except - bull dogs are not like any other dog. They have owners cause they are a dog, but they make you work for it. They here a command and think about it a bit before responding. Bullies are stubborn creatures. Not for everyone, but our family adores them!

Mama Pea said...

Ah, yes, the winter cracks in the fingers. And the static electricity. I swear it sounds (and feels!) like a lightning strike sometimes when I touch something. It's kinda embarrassing when it's another person!

The photo of your spent orchid blossoms in the bowl is lovely. Just the right color relationship between petals and wood grain.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Chuckie is gorgeous these days. Wish I could give him a squishy hug. Do you have enough space to the right side of the orchid photo to expand it a little so the blossom is not dead center? I am so glad Jackson is doing a bit better. It's hell when our pets get old and slow down. Glad you and Rick are motivated to work on your crafts. I've been on a week long hiatus and need to pick it back up. Take care.

C-ingspots said...

And then today we have more big, fat, wet flakes of snow!
So glad to hear the supplements are helping Jackson. Maybe Dozer will show results soon too.
Your picture of the blossom is beautiful! I love the soft, neutral colors in nature very much.
I have celery growing from a cut root I saved. I know there was something else I wanted to mention, but it's gone. :(

MiniKat said...

I think the orchid blossoms in the bowl would be a great photo contest entry! So beautiful!

Glad Jackson is feeling a bit better. Hopefully warmer temps will be his true fountain of youth.

Chuckie! <3 <3 <3

wyomingheart said...

Oh that Chuckie...Chuckie...Chuckie! Just love that little guy! I say profoundly "YES"! to entering that photo. It is spectacular! Have you thought of a name? I'd call it the treasure at the bottom of the bowl...lol!

Susan said...

I would say I'm an employee. Or slave. I can't wait until everything is not covered in snow and ice. This has been the driest winter I have ever experienced - it is not possible to keep skin moisturized, and the static! I should have gotten one of those Tesla cars - I could have powered it all the way to Oregon just on the static charge when I take off my jacket!

Leigh said...

What great news that the supplement is helping Jackson. It's so hard to see them suffer from the aches and pains of getting old. Always a joy to see Chuckie too. And the yarn and bowls are true eye candy!

Sharon said...

Ian gives our 15-year-old large Black Lab glutamine and chondroiton that he gets at Costco. Without it she can barely lift herself up from the floor but with it she does very well and still walks a mile every other day.