Wednesday, December 05, 2018

Looking up

Since I'm without a 'real' camera and distance is not the iPhone's forté, I'll have to describe this morning's fascinating skyscape. The eastern horizon is starting to glow a dull, faded red. The moon hangs low above the silhouette of firs, its full, round body visible, but only the barest sliver illuminated bright. Venus, now high in the southeast sky, has left her moon man; just two mornings ago she was practically in his arms.

Yesterday morning when I got up, the fire was struggling and the house was cool. I opened the damper and sat down on the hearth to benefit from the flames now gulping oxygen. Casting my eyes toward the windows, I noticed Venus and the moon separated by the star on our Christmas tree. I snapped a photo out of habit, not expecting a worthwhile result.

Surprises never cease! At least this was a good one....

Rick left Saturday afternoon for some meetings in San Francisco that started the next day. After driving him to the airport, I drove Brian to his school for their talent/variety show in which his bell choir played a number.
Afterwards we decided to try one of his teacher's favorite food treats, me not realizing that the bread pudding is served at a coffee house and bar. We had just enough time to order, eat (oh, it was amazing!), and snap each other's photos before time was up for minors in the establishment.

The next morning, Sunday, Rick called. He wasn't feeling well and was worried (ha – what an understatement) it was his heart. After countless calls throughout that day and the next, interspersed with calls to a doctor friend of his and also his cardiologist, he flew home Monday night, two days early. Yesterday we spent six hours in town, seeing his cardiologist, getting bloodwork done, visiting the pharmacy repeatedly until scrips were finally filled. He's been feeling pretty much back to normal since he woke up in his own bed (of course), but I am taking him to the regional cardiac center tomorrow – Brian's birthday – for an angiogram and probably another stent.

I'm trying to bite my tongue and be pleasant, but sympathy is beyond me. Rick's lifestyle set him up for a heart attack eight years ago, and he's done nothing of significance to better his chances of avoiding another one since then. (I'd like to think I would do everything in my power to LIVE for my loved ones if I were diagnosed with a lifestyle disease!) We have no financial reserves to weather this latest storm since Rick had to replace two expensive pieces of diagnostic equipment this year, so that's added stress.

But such is life during this crazy last month of a crazy year. (Oh yeah; happy December!) I am following a Leader that will not fail me; no matter what happens, He can use it for good. The friends – two- and four-legged – He has surrounded me with do much to share the load. (A shout out to my mental health mustang, the most loyal dog a woman could have, and the amazingly therapeutic effects of a warm, soft, purring kitty on one's lap.)

That's the short report from . . .

15 comments:

Michelle said...

No sympathy please, just friendship. :-)

DianeOart said...

(((HUGS)))

thecrazysheeplady said...

So what happened to your camera? Love this shot! You night not have gotten it with a regular camera, honestly.

marlane said...

My understanding was that heart problems are also genetic and that no matter what your lifestyle is you are susceptible.

Michelle said...

Thanks, Diane.

Sara, both my Lumix cameras have dust in the lens.

Marlane, in the vast majority of people genetic weaknesses can be turned on by lifestyle, or remain dormant. Rick may be more susceptible, but that's all the more reason to 'hedge his bets' by doing all he can.

Susan said...

Hi Michelle,

I have the same situation and am trying to understand why my husband of 48 years cannot seem to make the change that is necessary to live a longer and healthier life. Hugs to you and if you would like to correspond please email, I think we may have a lot in common.

wyomingheart said...

Just saying that the snuggle you share with little Chuckie is therapeutic for days on end! Prayers !

Michelle said...

Susan, I would love to chat via email but don't have your address. You'll have to email me using the link on the right side of the blog.

I do believe you're right, Wyomingheart!

Debbie said...

Always friendship. Sending a hug too.

Jean said...

Hugs! Just hugs!

Retired Knitter said...

Oh my.

Those fine dogs, cute cat and handsome steed are now earning their keep! My animals are so invaluable in times of trouble to me - just their presence helps I find. I think God intended it that way.

Susan said...

Friendship is a given. It is beyond me that people who have the ability to ensure a quality life with the ones they love, instead turn inward and miss the opportunity. You are much loved by all of us, and well covered by the furry and maned wonders of this Universe. xo

A :-) said...

I struggle myself with lifestyle changes. The road is not always an easy one. Old habits die hard and when the immediacy of a critical situation is past, one sometimes forgets - or buries the fear because it's just too hard some days. At least that's how it often goes for me. As you know I'll be working on some major changes myself coming up here.

I hope that today's appointments had good news attached to them. And wow - Brian is morphing into a young man right before our eyes. :-)

Leigh said...

Oh Michelle, not the kind of Christmas season anyone hopes for. Just hang on to the reason for the season. I know I don't have to tell you that, but I can tell you that prayers are being said for you and your family.

Jeanne said...

I read this one out of order, thought about waiting to comment, but as I read on, knew I had to write now. Nope! Not going to write about everything here and now, just your beautiful word pictures at the beginning of this post. I read that first paragraph twice to absorb it all. Well done!! You have a good way with words!