Thursday, November 22, 2018

Writer's block

I have been casting about for a thread, a theme, a single word to start a post. It's how I write; without it I flounder. There is so much going on in the world, in our country, in my circle of family and friends, in my home; I have been feeling . . . what is the WORD? Sadness, powerlessness, inevitability, disconnection; yes, all of these – but not hopelessness. I look for a better land but live here for now; while there is beauty and goodness to be found, the enemy is clearly hard at work EVERYwhere. No surprise; "your adversary the devil walks about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." BUT, "when the enemy comes in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him;" amen. I try to be one of His standards but don't feel very effective.

For the second time this year, my dad's side of the family will soon gather for a reunion / memorial service. My uncle lost his brother, my dad, in April; his wife, my aunt, died Tuesday after a massive stroke. The week before a former co-worker of mine lost her fight with cancer; I will have two memorial services to attend in December. Between those and holiday gatherings, Brian's basketball games and concerts, and transporting family to / from the airport in Portland, the month is going to be hectic, with a few days containing two or more events.

The West Coast is finally getting some rain; we need it but not as desperately as California does. The sunny weather was lovely while it lasted but I welcome the precipitation and even the gray; this is what November is supposed to feel like. I like predicable rhythms, schedules, routines....

We had a nice Thanksgiving; I hope you did, too. As we have for the last several years, a group of us gathered for a shared meal at our church; I contributed whole wheat crescent rolls, spiced roasted sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie cake. Afterwards some of us stayed on to socialize over games and a jigsaw puzzle, and we still had time to have an NCIS marathon when we got home.

We have so much to be thankful for, it's humbling. The very real friendships I've made through blogging is not least among these. I wish I could give each one of you a bear hug, or a handknit gift in appreciation for how you warm my heart.

Thank-you, from . . .

9 comments:

Rosie said...

Thanks for a lovely post and photos. You might have writers block but you have a great attitude to life and I enjoy your blog although I don't often comment, but I always read it. Thank you.

Theresa said...

Looks like that writers block went the way of the turkey! ;-) Hugs right back, there is so much to be thankful for, and so much to give us a purpose for too if only to shine a light, pick at the edges and pull a thread. Your moon shot has got to be an all time favorite. It looks just like mine did last night.

Retired Knitter said...

We all get it. That block to getting a post written. Don't push too hard. Happy Thanksgiving, dear blog friend.

Michelle said...

Thank-you for reading, Rosie, and thank-you for your sweet comment!

Theresa, I almost didn't post that moon shot because it isn't a high-quality photo, just the best I could capture with my iPhone. I'm glad you like it – and I like that analogy of picking at the edges and pulling a thread!

Thank-you, RK, and you, too!

Mama Pea said...

Try not to take on any more than you absolutely have to during this next month, Michelle. I do believe we females still think we have to do it all, but I'm (slowly!) coming to the realization that it doesn't help us (and is most likely baaaad for us in many ways) nor does it help those that we say we're doing it for. (Now there's a thought for a long, long blog post . . . or perhaps a master's thesis!!)

Glad the rain is falling on you. Can't believe how much gorgeous autumnal color you still have!

Michelle said...

Mama Pea, after a couple days of wind and rain, we have far less color now than we did when I took that photo!

Sharon said...

We do have so much to be thankful for, don’t we?!! I think often of the 400 people sleeping in tents in a WalMart parking lot having been thrust into homelessness by the Camp Fire. I wish I knew how to help them, yet my church here struggles to provide for our local homeless and needy. We serve about 350 families a month between the wood lot providing free firewood and the food pantry. Yes, I am indeed thankful. Nice post :-)

Fiberjoy said...

Beautiful pictures, and post.

Jeanne said...

Beautiful pictures! We can't always get a moonshot like that...
I really enjoyed your post. Well done! Our Thanksgiving was very quiet, with no turkey or fancy dinner. I was still in the rehab center and spent the day alone, because my Hunny and 1st # One Daughter weren't able drive to Eugene. It's an 80 mile round trip. But we are still thankful to the Lord for all his blessings in our daily lives!