Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Nobody's perfect

It started with changing 'clothes' one night. Bernadette's bum was busting out the back of her too-small suit, so I caught her and swapped it out for a bigger one, admiring her chocolate fleece in the process. I also noticed that her toes were long – and that others were sporting too-small suits and too-long toes. It was obviously time to do some fall sheep maintenance!

Trimming toes and changing coats (as needed) on each of my eight girls over the next week gave me the chance to compare their great, good and not so good qualities. Believe it or not, I don't have one perfect sheep. ๐Ÿ˜‰ But all of them do have fleeces I'm proud to be able (based on micron test results) to market and sell as

ALL of my girls have close relatives in the ewe flock. There's Sarai and her twin daughters Brigitte and Bardot, who were sired by Blake; Vienna and her daughter Bree, who was also sired by Blake; and then there are Nightcap's three daughters Blaise, Bernadette, and Bette, of which the latter two are also Vienna's and Blake's granddaughters and Bette is Bree's daughter! (Got that? Good; there'll be a quiz later. Ha!) I'll show them to you in those three groups, in the order named, with comments.
The katmoget pattern creates an optical illusion of a long tail; it's not.

WhitePine Sarai, a 'grey' katmoget (not Ag), is my oldest ewe at eight. She has a beautiful head and conformation and a fine, crimpy fleece that can usually be rooed. Okay, I lied; Sarai is pretty much a perfect Shetland. I would love another 1/2" to 1" of staple length, but really, that's just being greedy.


Boulderneigh Brigitte's tail is embarrassingly woolly; I would not sell her as breeding stock because of it. But she has a fantastic fleece with length and fineness as well as good conformation.





Right mid-side
Left mid-side
Hip
Boulderneigh Bardot, Brigitte's grey twin, has the perfect tiny tail – buried in an unfortunate amount of britch. She's got great conformation covered with a lot of beautiful, crimpy fleece, but it's the least fine of my ewe flock.



OK Acres Vienna is my second oldest ewe. She's a big-bodied, easy-keeping, very fine-fleeced moorit with fierce mothering instinct – she's the one who took Jackson and suffered a gashed face for it, and she'd do it again in a heartbeat. Her head is rather plain and her fleece is rather short, but she hasn't passed on either of those traits.


Mid-side

Topline

Britch
Boulderneigh Bree produces a luscious fleece and I love her size, conformation, personality, and head. Her tail is woollier than is ideal, but not as heavy as Brigitte's.



Boulderneigh Blaise is special; her gulmoget pattern, white head markings, tiny ears and tail, square stance, and presence have long drawn my eye. To be perfect her fleece would be finer and her back would be longer (more capacity for lambs).


Bernadette has a tiny, typey tail and a superb moorit fleece. She doesn't stand as square on her hind legs as I'd like; she's a bit 'hocky.'

Boulderneigh Bette has the best fleece in my flock. Not only does she have the lowest AFD at 24ยต, her other qualities make it feel even finer ('spin fineness'). Her tail has gotten woollier (there is a haired tip in there) as she has matured, but the rest of her physical traits are very nice.

############################

I'm body-sore tonight; I spent most of my free time today working in the arena. I was going to make applesauce, but your comments about RoundUp encouraged me and steeled my resolve to do whatever I can to prevent its use where Lance and I play. I wish I could persuade my DH to stop using the vile stuff and it would be great if he'd wield a hoe to help me, but that's not going to happen. I appreciate him for many reasons, but we are polar opposites on some things that mean a lot to me and this is one of them. ๐Ÿ˜” (See title.) Thankfully (although it can be very irritating at times) he is slow to act, so that buys me some time to do it my way. I decided to rake up what I'd hoed before; the weeds didn't turn roots-up like they did in the garden and I was afraid they'd just re-root. In fact, the roots form a matt that holds a lot of sand; I just broke that matt up into smaller pieces when I hoed. So I picked up manure forkfuls, shook out what sand I could, and loaded the cart. Talk about HEAVY; I only used my 'helper' once because it made the load almost impossible to move!
It occurred to me that the matt was so cohesive that I might be able to just lift it up rather than hoe it; sure enough, it worked!
Removing the weeds this way not only avoids toxic chemicals and saves me the cost of a gym membership (ha), it removes much of the organic matter that would decrease the drainage and increase the dust potential over time. Not that I'm going to convince Rick; I'll just have to keep working at it every chance I get and pray I beat the man with the evil sprayer.

My outdoor companion
That's it for now from . . .

8 comments:

Theresa said...

Such a lovely flock! Surely a wooly tail on a sheep is a good thing? Don't they dock some sheep breeds tails? I know nothing of sheep I will admit other than the end product of fleece and yarn and such.

Retired Knitter said...

Haha! That Chuckie - he found his way into another post. And your sheep are lucky to have such an attentive shepherd.

Michelle said...

Theresa, Shetlands are part of the Northern European Short-tailed breeds and as such don't need to be docked. The shape and length and coverage of their tail is important because the tail is one of those areas that is a "tell" of their genetic make-up. Other breeds of sheep were brought in to cross on the hardy little island sheep to "improve" them, i.e. make them bigger or woollier for more production. None of these crosses proved successful in the end, but the genes are there, and show up sometimes generations later in lots of little ways.

That Chuckie does insert himself in our lives, RK; we're a lucky family!

Mama Pea said...

It certainly seems you know your sheep, girl! 'Course, I know so little (nothing) that you could easily pull the wool over my eyes. (Sigh. Yes, pun intended. Sorry.)

I award you a big gold star for doing all you can to keep your soil, your horse, and you healthy by avoiding those toxic chemicals "someone" wants to spray on your little homestead. I understand what you say about removing pulled up or hoed up weeds. (Who knew weeds would grow so readily in sand?!) If I don't dig my weeds out and remove them from the garden, they start putting down their roots almost before the day is done. Arrrgh!

Susan said...

Oh, I do love Bree! What a pretty ewe! I think all your sheep are lovely and sweet-natured. Wish some of that would rub off on Norman. You go, girl! Stay ahead of the evil spray - that stuff will kill us all, humans, animals, insects and plants. You are a force of Nature! xo

Debbie said...

Lots of oh's and aw's for your sheep and their fleece!!! Wonderful!!!

Chuckie is cute and certainly a part of the family now.

btw have you tried any of the diy weeder spray? www.hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens/planting-and-maintenance/make-your-own-natural-weed-killer is one source of info.

Please stay clear of Roundup.....

Stay dry and warm.

wyomingheart said...

Hi Michelle, and I love Chuckie! I bought a propane weed burner years ago from Lesco, and it still works terrific for fence lines. I realize it might take awhile to do an entire arena, but no longer than digging!... I love to dig in dirt, so I would probably be doing exactly what your doing!...LOL...Oh, by the way, I love Chuckie!!!

Jeanne said...

Thanks, Michelle, for sharing your knowledge of the sheep and their lovely wooliness! It's fascinating to compare them.

I hate to think of you trying to weed all that arena by hand, yourself. Maybe you could get Chuckie to help?!!