Tuesday, October 23, 2018

From sunrise to Aussie eyes

Yesterday's sunrise showed off our poor air quality, thanks to an inversion that trapped particulates  (like smoke from our burn pile) 😳 close to earth.
But with change acomin', this morning's sunrise turned into a real stunner!
As forecast, yesterday was our last dry, sunny day. The horses enjoyed some turn-out,
and Chuckie enjoyed one of his napping spots. Can you spot him?


One of the last things we did Sunday, after dark with tractor lights and a head-lamp, was move the boys' hay feeder. The boys build up a thick pack of discarded stems and manure under it over time, so we moved the feeder to a fresh spot (still need to clean up the pack, visible next to the fence). The new location is down by the henhouse (beyond Blake under the trees) and closer to the barn.
To keep the base from rotting in the muck it gets buried in, Rick decided to put it up on blocks. I was a little concerned this would make it too tall for my short sheep, but the boys are managing just fine.



Yesterday I had an hour between work and picking up Brian, so I started hoeing the arena. With a little moisture and cooler temperatures, a new crop of weeds and grass has sprouted and my husband is determined to spray it all with RoundUp. Ugh! My horse and I are the only ones who use the arena and I don't want either of us exposed to glyphosate, so it was good motivation to use my muscles. There's a lot more to do, but at least I made a noticeable dent.
A certain little furry friend thought I should tune in to The Chuckie Channel instead. He kept his distance while I swung the hoe, but when I stopped for a breather he zoomed in –

and tried to zoom up my leg!

Here is your Japanese maple photo du jour, with an Aussie accent. Jackson recalled from under my little Braeburn apple tree; as he got closer I realized he'd been loathe to leave behind his snack.

I told him he had to finish it on the front porch before coming inside.😉

The bit of drizzle we got this afternoon kindly waited until Lance got his exercise and I finished the last of the fall sheep maintenance. Coming up; lots of sheep and fleece photos!

That's it for now from . . .

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Go ahead; type something!

Retired Knitter said...

That Chuckie! He manages to get into more pictures. He is a real ham! Glad he decided to stay.

Mama Pea said...

Jackson is such a beauty of a dog!

Gak, don't let your husband spray Round Up on your property. :o/ That's bad stuff and stays in the soil for a long time!

Susan said...

Round Up!?!?! Never! That stuff is totally toxic. He should be out with a hoe instead! Or he could do what a neighbor does - goes out with a miniature flame thrower and burns everything. Which is fine when you don't have to worry about starting a fire that will take out your valley. Oh, Jackson. What eyes, what a face.

Theresa said...

I can't believe anyone would ever use Round Up again . Did you see the latest news about Round-up and kids cereals...not good.
Jackson is such a handsome dog!

Jeanne said...

The best way to use RoundUp is to do what my Hunny used to do - a wee bit in a shallow container,an old, small paintbrush, and PAINT each thing you want to get rid of. In this case, it was dandelions in the lawn. I shudder to think of your husband spraying it around!

Chuckie is such a sweet character! And Jackson is a beautiful boy! I don't think I've ever seen a dog eating an apple... Do the horses link them?

Michelle said...

Me too, RK!

Mama Pea, Susan, and Theresa: if you can control what my husband does or doesn't do, separately or collectively you're more woman than I am! :-/

Michelle said...

Jeanne, my husband would scoff at that labor-intensive method as much as he would the idea of manually weeding the arena....

And to everyone, I'll let Jackson know he has admirers other than me!

Jeanne said...

Michelle, I didn't really think your husband would want to try Ron's method, but it does cause a lot less damage to the plants you want to keep! Good luck with your project!

thanida said...

Your blog has given me that thing which I never expect to get from all over the blog.
ไฮโล

supersonic100g9 said...

บริการรถเช่าบางเขน BANANA Rent A Car ลูกค้าสามารถมั่นใจได้ว่า รถทุกคันท่านสามารถเลือกรุ่นรถยนต์ เพื่อให้ตอบโจทย์กับการใช้งานของท่าน โดยรถทุกคันได้ผ่านการตรวจสอบสภาพ ก่อนส่งรถให้กับท่าน ซึ่งลูกค้าจะสามารถมั่นใจได้ว่า รถเช่าบางเขน ทุกคันจะผ่านการล้างทำความสะอาด เช๊คสภาพทั้งภายนอกและภายใน ให้ท่านมั่นใจได้ว่า บริการรถเช่าบางเขน ทุกๆคัน จะได้รับมาตรฐานและพาท่านให้เดินทางถึงจุดหมายได้อย่างสวัสดิภาพ ดังนั้นหากคุณกำลังมองหา บริการรถเช่าบางเขน อย่าลืมที่จะคิดถึงเรา BANANA Rent A Car ในเครือ ECOCAR rent-a-car
เช่ารถพร้อมคนขับ
เช่ารถดอนเมือง
เช่ารถรายวัน
บริการรถเช่า
รถเช่ากระบะ