Friday, October 19, 2018

An unwanted 'break'

My typically Teflon-coated immune system slipped up this week, big time. I came down with a bad cold, source unknown (unusual in itself; I'm usually "last man standing" among the germy), that got progressively worse through yesterday. I spent more time in bed Wednesday and Thursday than any able-bodied person should, but this morning I woke up feeling mostly normal, so I guess I'll live. (I think Jackson was worried!)

If you follow me on Instagram (button at right) you probably thought everything was normal from the photos I posted. It doesn't take much strength to push buttons on my iPhone and I mostly tried to keep up with my usual activities (until I couldn't), so I have lots of photos to share. I even started pecking away at fall sheep maintenance, but will do a separate post for that.

It's been unusually dry for October, so I've still been watering the garden. Checked for harvestable things the other day and ended up wishing I'd taken a bigger bowl! (Hmm; maybe I'll make a frittata for tonight's supper....) As I was closing the garden gate, I looked right to see the light shining through a curtain of fall maple leaves:


Feathers are flying and egg production is dropping; the soft gray feathers from molting blue Wyandottes are everywhere.

There was a "Showdown at the OK Corral" episode on the Chuckie Channel the other day. A fat gray tabby I didn't recognize was stalking our boy in the pasture. When he noticed me watching and taking pictures, he slunk off, but returned shortly for a closer confrontation. That time I chased the intruder away, not wanting Chuckie injured in a cat fight. Fortunately, I haven't seen the aggressive gray again, and Chuckie continues his charming ways.


Still wallowing in the wonderful light and fall colors.




That's our house, taken during an evening ride on the hill




Here's a cute photo (hummingbird tongue!) to caution you that I'm ending this post with a short rant (because, like I said, I do keep up with the news):

While most of the world reels from the horrific details recorded of a journalist's torture and assassination, Trump says he will wait to pass judgement until the assassins are done investigating themselves. (Why is no one reminding our citizens that 15 of the 19 hijackers on 9/11 were Saudis?!?) Then on Thursday at a rally in Montana, he praised the congressman who attacked a journalist last year, saying "Never wrestle him. Never. Any guy that can do a body slam, he’s my kind of, he’s my guy. We endorsed Greg really early, but I heard that he had body slammed a reporter. And he was way up, and I said, ‘Oh, this is terrible, he’s going to lose the election.’ But then I said, ‘Well wait a minute, I know Montana pretty well, I think it might help him,’ and it did … He’s a great guy and a tough cookie.” Trump has been hard at work throughout his campaign and presidency to TEAR DOWN our first amendment (among a great many other things), over and over and over again. As Dan Rather posted on FB this morning: "Pres. Trump's celebration of a congressman who assaulted a journalist is disgusting. The rapturous cheers from the crowd are deeply disturbing. The silence from GOP officials is the sound of cowardice. This has not, must not, will not be my America.
A free and independent press must be part of #WhatUnitesUs"


That's it for today from . . .

11 comments:

Michelle said...

"If you are arguing against empathy, no matter what the context, you are on the wrong side."

Susan said...

(Hear! Hear! Empathy has oiled the way to the state of our pitiful states.)

Oh, that Chuckie is a charmer, all right. What a cutie! I'm so sorry you've been laid low by a cold. Some of them are more influenza than cold, I think. I hope you are feeling better soon. We have had rain, rain, cold, rain, cold rain. I am just glad it's not snow - yet. What a beautiful place you live in - the colors are just magical and the light! Thank you for your beautiful photographs, as usual.

Mama Pea said...

A fall cold! Not quite as bad as a summer cold, but still. Hope you're well over it already.

Such gorgeous pictures of your gorgeous scenery. So very autumnal. And that Chuckie is sure an attractive cat.

Call me an ostrich, but I try very hard not to see or hear or read anything about Trump. Such a disgrace.

Theresa said...

My sympathies on the cold. I know exactly how you likely felt. It's good to give into bed rest once in a while. I personally think everyone should have at least 2 days per month they can lounge around and just read and nap. The dogs agree. I'm betting Chucky would too. The cheeto, the GOP and the MAGA crowd disgust me. My ballot is filled out and back in the mail.

Leigh said...

I finally had to stop listening to the news because I got tired of being mad. The important thing is your wonderful photographs! I love that Chuckie is so photogenic.

Retired Knitter said...

I am with Leigh. I kind of avoid the news. After 2 years of this (explitive deleted) stuff I know nothing is going to change while he is in office. I am putting all my hopes in the 2018 and 2020 elections. I will be a very depressed person if voting doesn't make a difference.

That Chuckie is a very handsome fellow!!

Debbie said...

Hope that you're on the mend from your cold. No fun at all.

Chuckie is very cute! It won't be too long before he works his way indoors...

Your fall photos are beautiful. This stretch of good weather has been wonderful.

You put into words what many of us think. Basics values matter and should not be forgotten.

Enjoy your weekend.


FullyFleeced said...

Sorry to hear you've been down with the cold- I've caught myself a persistent one as well. And then there is the news. Just when you think it can't get any more depressing, there is another headline. Thank goodness for critters, eh?

Jeanne said...

I think Chuckie is just gorgeous! And I hope you scared off the gray beast that wanted to attack him, for good!!

I'm so sorry you've been ill. We've had some sort of "crud" going through out family too. My sweet husband got it the worst. Mine was the least of the three of us. I hope you are much better by now.

Your pictures are soooo beautiful.

A :-) said...

Some gorgeous fall color out your way. :-)

Sure hope you are feeling better by now. I've been down for the count again, too.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better. The colors up your way seem much more defined than our watery-colored rusts, oranges and yellows, but I love any kind of fall colors, so your pictures refresh me.