Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Hump day

Yesterday I watered the garden to keep things going through this warm spell. The hose leaks a bit at the connection to the spigot, which waters the New York asters.

Last night there was no color to speak of on the western horizon, but the eastern sky looked like a subtle sunrise.
Today I picked a bucket of apples and made another batch of applesauce.

While I was working, I heard some sort of engine noise getting closer and louder – alarmingly so. We are getting more and more air traffic over our hill so I moved towards a window to see what might be flying so low, and a truck roared by in a cloud of lime! I slammed windows shut before I grabbed my phone; he was moving so fast that he was already at the bottom of the lot next to us by the time I snapped the first photo. But that was just the first pass, so I got several opportunities. 😣



Good thing there was some serenity INside the house!

That's it for now from . . .

7 comments:

Theresa said...

What's the lime for? Beautiful orchid. They have some at the market I shop at for my Mom and every week I pass them slowly by. So lovely.

Mama Pea said...

Ugh, cough-cough. Could have been worse, I suppose!

Michelle said...

Theresa, Rick was told that alfalfa is going in for now next door, so the soil is being amended.

It ENVELOPED the house and drifted over the barn and pastures, Mama Pea; I worried for our animals that I couldn't protect. :-(

A :-) said...

I wondered about the lime, too. Hope all is well.

Jeanne said...

I'm sorry you had to go through that experience. They use lime to "sweeten" the soil - to reduce the acidity. It's used a lot along I-5, from Eugene, and north. My Hunny doesn't think it would hurt your animals. If you find out otherwise, please let me know...

Susan said...

If you know the owners, I would ask them to request their drivers NOT speed through the lime. It's bad enough to be enveloped in a cloud of dust, but lime is worse! Most of the time they are just ignorant to the fact that their actions can harm someone else.

Retired Knitter said...

I would be worried about the animals too. You should say something.