Monday, June 05, 2017

Getting the cart before the horse

The shopping cart, that is! It's time to get serious about moving fleeces since they are taking over my office. No, they are not ready to ship; none are weighed yet because except for the two rooed fleeces, all need a once-over to make sure they are sufficiently skirted. Oh, and there are the two yet on the sheep (that would be Vienna and Nightcap).... But since I respond well to deadlines, I'm going to post information here in case anyone wants to reserve a fleece (in which case I would git 'er done and out the door quick). Soon I will post the same information on pertinent Ravelry forums, and in the past that has resulted in quick sales.

This spring I took mid-side last rib samples from all 10 adult Shetlands and sent them to Texas A&M for testing. I am very happy with the results; all my breeding stock is eligible for the Fine Fleece Shetland Sheep Association's performance registry (the wethers are in the same grades), and four of my five ewes grade at the top of the chart – Superfine Premium. This means I can use the FFSSA Collective Mark for advertising purposes:

Here is the summary sheet (hopefully you can biggify it):

Now for the fleece staple shots (along with on-sheep photos when available) to go with those numbers. These are in alphabetical order, just like the OFDA 2000 report:














Let me know if you have any questions. If you see something you want, speak up and I'll look it over and give you a weight and price ASAP!

That's it for now from . . .


1 comment:

Debbie said...

Congrats on your hard work!!

I hope one day you will do a resource book for future shepherds.

All the fleece samples are beautiful. The short light brown curls are really special.

Hope your week is going well.