Thursday, August 18, 2016

The heat is on

My dad's cancer has been named – epitheliod hemangioendothelioma. The man who said he'd never submit to chemo or radiation is now prepared to do both. I will be doing everything I can to support him; that will probably mean more frequent trips to see him.

The weather is heating up, too, breaking records all over the western side of the state. So of course this would be the only weekend left to pony up on the promised backpacking trip for Brian's 8th grade graduation. It's supposed to be in the 90s up in the Cascades; I'm praying that none of us gets heat stroke.

I'll be watering my outside potted plants thoroughly tonight in hopes that will hold them until we get back; I may break down and put the oscillating sprinkler on the garden to keep it alive and producing. The seven remaining chickens are down to about an egg a day between the heat and molting. When we get back I'll be picking up the three Australorp pullets; hopefully that will boost production.

How about some hot fiddle as a pick-me-up?


That's it for now from . . .

12 comments:

Theresa said...

Ack! Barter for a Sept. or Oct. trip, add a day because it will be so much more pleasant. We'll be well into the 90's again today too, but I early feel for those kids and animals who are at fair in Josephine and Klamath counties this week.

Susan said...

Keeping your dad, you and your family in my thoughts. OMG. Backpacking in the 90s? HYDRATE!

LannieK said...

It's amazing what research and the doctors can do... Prayers for your dad!
Have a great time this weekend ~

C-ingspots said...

Of course! :) At least you'll be in a beautiful place, and the hot forest always smells so good. Love that smell! What did you guys do with the dogs? Hope you have an enjoyable and memorable trip despite this blasted heat!! Keeping your dad and all in our prayers...

Mary Ann said...

Michelle, Praying for your dad daily now. I was sorry to read this. I hope you guys have a safe backpacking trip!

Elizabeth P said...

Prayers for your Dad. Are you crazy? :) Backpacking in 90 degree temps? Better you than I I'm just melting thinking about it! Take lots of water!
Hugs for now...

Claire MW said...

Still thinking of you and your Dad. I hope you have a wonderful camping trip despite the other difficulties you're facing. The heat sounds rather daunting - but maybe that will keep the biting bugs at bay.

Anonymous said...

I never know what to say when I hear (or read) about things like your dad's cancer. Prayers, hugs and love to all of you.

Leigh said...

Oh dear, that's such sad news about your dad. It's wonderful you are close enough to offer support.

Sorry to hear about your heat! We're finally just getting over ours. It's only supposed to get up to the low 90s today! Whoop!

Mama Pea said...

Keeping your dad and the rest of the family in my thoughts and prayers. His attitude and support will go far in aiding a good outcome.

Are the horses okay on a trip in such high temps? Maybe they handle it better than the humans?!

Sharon said...

I will keep your dad in my prayers Michelle. I know the Valley is super hot but I'll bet the camping was comfortable as it's comfortable here in Bend. Hope so!

A :-) said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis and I hope that the treatments will help.