Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Show and tell

Most of our lettuce has bolted; this variety has such pretty flowers!

I started this bump of alpaca/silk at the end of the Tour de Fleece. That's half of it on the spindle; I'm working on the second half now.

Pretty detritus on the steps beside the house. The shell is the color of the olive-egger hens' eggs, but much smaller.

My mom brought me this beautiful jacket; I wore it to work yesterday. It has a button hole on each side, but no fastener, so on my way home I stopped at my local yarn store to pick up a neat doo-hickey I had seen and admired there. Now that I have one, I foresee making knitwear with bilateral buttonholes and using this much more! (I really hate sewing buttons on knitwear.)

Clouds, clouds; I love clouds. These shots were all taken from our deck, looking NW; the top two yesterday evening and the bottom one this morning. Now they have all burned off and we're headed into a hot few days....

This spider is hanging out at the corner of our front door. I was going to brush it away (I hate walking into/through spiderwebs), when I noticed its web. Squee! I think it's a writing spider (thanks for the education, Sara), the first one I've noticed here!

Today's harvest (not counting a couple cherry tomatoes already consumed). That is ALL the potatoes the sprouted Yukon Golds produced, but it's enough for one recipe of good soup at a later date. Tonight we'll have green beans and whole wheat pasta with pesto; MMMmmm. This is the second double-batch of pesto I've made this summer; I fill and freeze the ice cube tray, storing the frozen cubes in a container so we can enjoy that green gold occasionally throughout the winter. This time I had fresh parsley as well as fresh basil from my garden, making this batch especially good. It's vegan, too!

That's it for now from . . .


6 comments:

Theresa said...

Lovely jacket and fastener Michelle. Love those colors. Pretty cool spider, I'm going to have to look up writing spider. Could be what they called in Texas a zipper spider but those spiders were huge. Heading into the hot here too. The silk alpaca looks like it spun up beautifully!

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, that pesto looks wonderful. I've got healthy basil but don't know if I'd get enough to make pesto to freeze. I'll have to do a fresh batch, though.

That's a neat jacket.

Sharon said...

I so enjoy your blog. Today I have two questions. What is the tool you found to fix the buttons and would you share your pesto recipe?
thanks

Michelle said...

Theresa, if you follow the hot link in my blog it will take you to Sara's blog post, and she has hot linked the Wikipedia page on writing spiders. The alpaca silk is luscious; thanks again!

FFG, it doesn't take as much as you might think – see recipe below.

Thanks, Sharon! The fastener is called a French Curve by Jul Designs. My LYS has it in two sizes and two colors (black and brown); mine is the small black version. You can order it from my LYS by calling 971-261-9608. They're kinda spendy (IMO), but work a treat!

Speaking of treats, here is the vegan pesto recipe with my adaptations (I doubled this):
1 1/2 cups firmly packed basil leaves (I used sweet Italian and spicy Thai)
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves (or 3 T. dry parsley)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup water (adjust for desired thickness; I needed a bit more)
1/2 cup raw cashews (I used 1/4 c. cashews and 1/4 c. raw sunflower kernels)
1/4 cup raw almonds

Place ingredients in blender in order listed and process to desired consistency. My blender processed this quickly and smoothly without needing any scraping; your mileage may vary. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.

Mama Pea said...

Well, weren't you clever to think of that doo-hickey at the yarn shop as a fastener for your new jacket! It's just right for the jacket.

You do get so many lovely "sky" photos. That's one thing I miss being tucked so much in the woods as we are . . . no sunrises and seldom colors from the setting sun. :o(

What's wrong with me that I just don't care for pesto?? Everyone raves over it and it would be such a nice bit of harvest from the garden. Hrumpf.

Michelle said...

I remember being surrounded by woods when we lived in MN, Mama Pea, and when there's tall trees on flat land, it really limits your horizons. (And get thee straightaway to a doctor to see what's wrong with you re pesto! ;-)