Monday, January 04, 2016

Refrigerated food

Sorry, but I'm putting off the Sunday sheep shots again. Too many photo ops presented themselves today, and other than doing chores, I have a good excuse to stay inside. It's icy out there! A thin layer of freezing rain over a thin layer of snow can create a surprising amount of treachery. Rick chained up his front tires and headed to work, only to turn around and come home to put chains on his back tires. He said he wouldn't have made it down our gravel lane and down the hill on the paved road without them; thankfully the roads on the valley floor are just wet. I'm not too hopeful that the ice on our hill will melt enough in the next few hours to safely drive Brian to his violin lesson, but we'll see. In the meantime, here are some creatures enjoying breakfast this grey and chilly morning. (As always, you can click to biggify.)

That's it for now from . . .

8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

You still have little hummers in the cold weather? Ours disappear by September 15th heading for South American . . . or somewhere a lot warmer than here.

Hubby went up to the farm yesterday to get a fresh supply of milk products. He took the "back way" on gravel roads thinking the ice and slipperiness would be better. Almost didn't make it and was quick to decide to come home on the paved roads. Ice is not nice!

Theresa said...

Those Anna's hummers are a hardy lot! My folks have a couple, one Anna's and one Black Chinned. He brigs the feeders in at night so the nectar is room temp when it goes out in the morning.

Mary Ann said...

I cannot believe you have a hummer in January! My goodness!

sylkan said...

I clamp a shop light next to my hummer station and leave it on. It generates enough heat that the feeder does not freeze. When we were the coldest a day or so ago, I had 6 hummers dive bombing each other for their turns at the food.

sylkan said...

I clamp a shop light next to my hummer station and leave it on. It generates enough heat that the feeder does not freeze. When we were the coldest a day or so ago, I had 6 hummers dive bombing each other for their turns at the food.

Michelle said...

We have a few hummers that overwinter here, Mama Pea. Our ice has mostly melted now; I hope yours has, too!

I've only had to thaw the hummer food once, Theresa; the sugar must lower the freezing point.

A pair of Anna's are keeping us entertained all winter, Mary Ann, although I have yet to get a photo of the male that I am satisfied with.

That's a great idea, Sylvia! My neighbor has more hummers at her feeder than we do.

Unknown said...

You got some great photos! Don't know how you captured the hummers!

Lisa Smith said...

Brrrr. . . that sweet little hummingbird! I can only imagine how chilled the nectar must be. We've had a couple stick around in winters past; but I haven't seen or heard them this winter.