Thursday, August 06, 2015

In my garden

In spite of our unusually hot, dry summer, some vegetation around Boulderneigh is doing well. The hostas in my island bed are getting a little bigger every year, happy in the shade of my biggest Japanese maple. They are just beginning to flower:
The dahlias growing along the sunny edge of the island bed are also happy. This photo shows all three of the varieties that have bloomed so far:
Our vegetable garden is doing well, too. Brian harvested a gallon of bush beans for me this afternoon, and there's probably double that in snow peas for him to pick tomorrow, while I pick tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and sweet peppers. I'm going to try a couple jars of Susan's Half Sour Pickles; we are on our last jar of the dills I canned two years ago. I'm going to make this salad to take to a neighborhood picnic on Sunday, along with deviled eggs and this scrumptious-looking dessert (although I might have to add a few raspberries to make it pretty as my rhubarb is mostly green). And we will be eating a LOT of green beans and snow peas!

That's it for today from . . .

10 comments:

Theresa said...

Now that all looks and sounds so yummy! My hosts were eaten by deer and the little Bloodgood Maple was mostly defoliated by them.....sigh.....

Michelle said...

Some years the deer have eaten all my hosta, but this year (so far) they've only nibbled on one of the that are under the blooming plum. As for my Japanese maple, they've left those alone as far as I can tell.

Unknown said...

The garden pictures look GREAT!

Tina T-P said...

OK, so have you translated her french/Swedish/English into regular English for that recipe - I like the idea of baking the rhubarb up a little bit - maybe helps with all the liquid in the stuff? T.

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Oh Michelle your garden sounds wonderful - all that fresh produce.
I have hostas in my garden but the snails seem to get them - I must be more vigilant this year!
Thank you for popping in to say hello!
Hugs
Shane

Mary Ann said...

I saved this recipe, it looks so good! We are buried in tomatoes here.

Michelle said...

There are a few things around here that aren't brown. ;-)

Michelle said...

I have to admit I didn't get around to making it, Tina, but it didn't look too difficult to figure out when I glanced at it.

Michelle said...

We have more slugs than snails, Shane, but they don't bother the hostas too much.

Michelle said...

I've made that salad several times now, Mary Ann; it's great!