Saturday, August 22, 2015

Feeling the fires in a new way

Between arriving at church and stepping outside an hour or so later to put something in my trunk, today's atmosphere changed from "nothing new" to "where's the fire???" The wind had shifted, bringing a grungy yellow haze of acrid smoke from the fire that drove the church members to our house Wednesday night. Eyes burning, I took the following photo on my way home; visibility is less than a mile.
Thankfully, we didn't leave many windows open this morning and our house is an oasis of relatively fresh air. I shut the few open windows and we've been hanging out inside with the dogs. I feel bad for the horses, sheep, chickens and barn cat who are stuck outside – especially my horse, who has suffered from allergies this year.

I hope the wind changes again soon!

That's it from a hazy . . .

7 comments:

Theresa said...

Yep, it is awful isn't it. We here in the valley have had two bad smoke summers in a row. When it is like this I simply don't ride or ask anything of the horses. They are basically pasture pets right now. Hoping the smoke clears quickly and Lance suffers no lasting ill effects

thecrazysheeplady said...

Ugh.

Retired Knitter said...

I just spoke with a friend in Washington State. She reported the same thing - terrible terrible air condition. What a bad situation for everyone.

Unknown said...

I hope the wind changes too! I do not like these smoky skies!

sewbeezy said...

It's been worse than that up here for over a week now. I have to wear a mask when I'm out with the animals. No fun.

Anonymous said...

This has been a summer unlike any of the 52 years that I've lived in Oregon.

These last few days gave me a vivid perspective of a song we sang at church this morning "…set a fire that I can't contain that I can't control… give me more of you God…"
Imagine the love of God burning so wildly!

Mary Ann said...

That really frightens me!