Friday, October 24, 2014

Fresh on Friday!

This tree on the way to my MIL's is FAR more glorious IRL!

It's full-on fall here, which means we are getting the kind of weather some people think we have year-round. (That's fine; they can just keep thinking that. Keeps the riffraff out. ;-)

Today I headed into the garden to pick rhubarb. Its time is limited; might as well use it up for a crisp for potluck. While there, I looked around. The garden looks pretty sad right now, with weeds burgeoning and vegetables languishing. I noticed some nice tomatoes (Rick picked them "all" last Sunday, so I don't know where these came from), so I went exploring to see what else I could find. My hands were soon full, and I had to go to the house for a big bowl! Besides tomatoes, there were a couple jalapeƱos and several small bell peppers, a couple summer squash, a wee winter squash, and a bunch of Japanese eggplant that have turned golden instead of purple. No matter; they will make good filler in the dinner cobbler I'm also making for potluck.
That's a lot of "fresh" for this Friday; what a blessing!


This girl is still broody. She kept her "broody 'do" even when I picked her up and put her outside to get some of the alfalfa leaves I scattered this morning.

When I looked in on the sheep in the fold this morning, I thought I'd lost Annabelle. She was stretched out on her side, not moving. I froze – then saw her side moving and dashed in to see what was wrong and what I could do to help. She had gotten cast between some odd humps that have developed in the (desperately needing to be stripped) bedding. At first she was only able to stand with my support and sounded pretty gurgly; but by the time I dashed up to get Rick and came back, she had managed to get up on her own, and soon started nibbling hay. These Shetlands; they're tough!

I've finished the first repeat on my Artesian. I've still amazed by the perfection of the yarn's color, even though knitting with a superwash single is a new and interesting experience.

That's it for today from . . .

6 comments:

Laura said...

That yarn looks metallic - very, very cool. I can't wait to see it completed!

Michelle said...

It IS cool, Laura. On close inspection, it almost looks like a very pale gray yarn with a super-thin black or dark gray film over it. I'm so glad I went ahead and bought it at OFFF!

Maggie said...

I'm so glad Annabelle was fine. That must have been scary. Your veggies and rhubarb look delish!

Mary Ann said...

Oh my goodness... a heart-stopping moment! I'm glad Annabelle was okay. I can't believe you got so much from the garden at the end of October!

Fiona said...

Lovely post and the broody hen is the best! She is determined!

Susan said...

My garden is finished, except for my winter greens. What a scare with Annabelle! The small, primitive breeds seem pretty hardy, thank goodness!