Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Welcoming committee

I was relieved to see Perch running around when we pulled in Sunday afternoon. She had faithfully deposited her eggs behind her ivy veil; note how much egg color can vary from just one hen!

What I was not happy to see was evidence of "meadow rats":
While we (or more accurately, our dogs) were away, the deer came and mowed down most of my hostas. Just when these "deer resistant" varieties were looking good, too! Grrrr....

A second flush of sweet pink spirea blooms takes a little of the sting away, though. At least the deer don't favor them.

That's it for today from . . .

5 comments:

Laura said...

Dang those deer, anyway... They must be hard up to be eating the "resistant" varieties! It's amazing to me that I don't have more deer predation - I know they come through the yard, but my garden (knock wood) is not bothered. Perhaps its location next to the peafowl put them off...

Theresa said...

My sympathies on the hosta. It is a plant I have fond memories of. Double long rows greeted us on our walk up to the old summer house in Vermont, often with hummingbirds darting in and out. I didn't know that there were deer resistant varieties.....

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear, (no pun intended) I didn't know deer ate hostas! Well, that certainly give me pause for thought as to where I was planning on putting some hostas... me thinks much to close to the meadow... so, back to the drawing board. Sorry I am learning from your misfortune though!!! I'm sorry I had to laugh at the "meadow rats" part! :D
Big hugs,
Beth

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Laura and Theresa, I'm not sure there ARE deer-resistant hosta varieties, despite what the package from Costco said. :-/ Mine have been eaten every year; this year they were unmolested long enough that I was fooled into believing I'd get to enjoy them all season long.

Glad you got a chuckle out of it, Beth. Want some venison?