Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Sunday, sun-day

Last week we hired a neighbor to rototill our garden with his tractor. The result is the nicest soil preparation our little plot has ever seen – and the earliest, thanks to unusually dry conditions for this time of year. Sunday we planted the seeds we had on hand – bush beans (saved seeds), carrots (organic "Scarlet Nantes"), radishes ("Sparkler," left over from 2011?), cucumbers (organic "Sumter" and "Tendergreen"), zucchini (organic "Black Beauty, Bush," left over from last year), watermelon (organic "Blacktail Mountain," saved seeds), and yellow squash (organic "Early Prolific Straightneck," left over from last year) – and immediately needed to water them.

Next we cleaned out the overgrown flowerbed around the blooming cherry. It looks sooo much better now, and will look even better once we get that barkdust spread. Here is a close-up of the rhodie that's blooming at the back of that bed:
In my island bed, I was delighted to see this:

My dahlias are coming up! I didn't dig them out last fall, so I wasn't sure what I'd get.

Sunday I also got my "big batch" of yarn dyed for Buds and Blooms:
Wet blue spaghetti!
I would love to wind this and cast on, but that probably wouldn't be prudent. Lots of things going on here right now, not the least of which is assisting with (and adjusting to) my MIL's relocation to our area for the summer. She flies in tomorrow, and will stay with us for a few days until she gets settled into her apartment.

On second thought, maybe a big, involved knitting project is exactly what I need to keep my sanity!

That's only some of what's going on at . . .

7 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Nothing stays the same in our lives, does it? Sometimes I long for a routine that would stay the same forever. But I know that's impractical and probably wouldn't be as much appreciated as it sounds.

Your garden looks wonderful. And, of course, all of your plantings and flowers are eye candy for me this time of year.

GORGEOUS blue yarn! How can you keep from putting some of it on your needles?

Suzan said...

Beautiful garden plot!! WOW! Now you have your work cut out for you! Have fun!
What did she use to make the blue dye on the wool? Lovely color!

Michelle said...

I'm not sure I CAN, Mama Pea – for many reasons!

Michelle said...

Thanks, Suzan. I am praying it produces abundantly, because we will be feeding more out of it this summer....

Michelle said...

Oh, and I dyed the wool using Laura's giant dye kettle and some Gaywool dye she gave me in the color Cornflower.

Susan said...

I think that I would go ahead and wind that yarn and cast on! Nothing helps ease stress like knitting. That is going to be a gorgeous sweater! And blue is your color!!

farmlady said...

All summer? Does she do this every year? Make her something with the blue yarn. It will be equal to a pound of honey.
Getting along reduces stress....
Your garden is ready and waiting... what fun.