Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sometimes two's a crowd....


The other day these two were both sure the middle nest box was the only one suitable for their eggs.

Our hens are laying fairly well, as evidenced by the egg tally in the right sidebar. The four Speckled Sussex and two Easter Eggers should be; they aren't yet two years old. We're also getting occasional contributions of big chocolate eggs from Welsie, the Welsummer. I don't think Roosty, our sole remaining Rhode Island Red, has laid anything for a year or more. Oh well, at least she's a handsome hen!

 Just a little post while we're away from . . . 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always crack up when the hens decide only one box will work. I have two hens sitting and a third that wants to, but two is enough. Hope you are having a wonderful time...

farmlady said...

We have three that are not laying anymore but we will let them retire here with their flock. They worked hard for years and deserve a peaceful old age.
We just bought four more chicks. Two Roadies and two "eastereggers". It's fun to add new chicks to the coop.
Love the post and the two crazy hens vying for the same nesting box.

Nancy K. said...

My hens would double up like that, even on HOT days and I worried that they would die of heatstroke!

Goofy birds...

Mary Ann said...

I love this picture!

PerfectTosca said...

The chickens are cool. we had a rooster on our land last fall and the thing tried to peck my eyes out. I was only trying to play!

Anyways, I stopped by just in case you want me to bring in muh sheeps.

Michelle said...

Tosca, you can come herd sheep any time you want! In fact, with you here, the big-boy rams could go out on pasture more often since I could count on you to help me bring them in again at night. :-)

Stevie said...

Hah! Looks like a 2 headed chicken. It's even worse when someone is broody on a nest and the other hens just keep climbing on her to try and lay their own eggs in there, too. Chaos all around! Stevie@ruffledfeathersandspilledmilk.com