Friday, September 16, 2011

Sweet spinner

One must always "pay" for a day off, and after the lovely beach ride, I had to put my nose on the grindstone before my guys returned Thursday night. Today, of course, it's back to the full-time job of "school teacher" on top of everything else, and no more quiet solitude. But I am glad to have my guys home - a Minnesota mountain of stinky, wet laundry notwithstanding. :-p

When Wanda met me here for our beach ride, she brought with her a spindle I had reserved.
I saw this one's twin on the Jenkins Ravelry forum and my heart melted over the precious symbolism of its carvings, reinforced by the use of olivewood for the arms. I emailed Wanda and told her I'd be in trouble if Ed made another one like that - and she told me he already had! I immediately spoke for it, and she brought it with her. It exceeds all my expectations in appearance and performance; now I must stop looking at all the pretties posted on the internet!

Speaking of pretties, my mini-Kleio (scarf instead of shawl) is coming along slowly:
I'm going to have a nice little selection of scarves/shawlettes to warm and accessorize with this winter!

That's it for now from . . .

10 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Your work is so fine I can't even imagine having the patience!

Michelle said...

Mary Ann, it doesn't take patience for me; it is truly relaxing and satisfying to spin and knit. I can't remember what I did with my hands and mind when not busy with other things before picking up these pastimes a few years ago!

Susan said...

What a beautiful spindle! I am so glad one of your plans worked out - reality comes back so fast, doesn't it?

Heather Woollove said...

What an awesome spindle!! I just learned to use a drop spindle within the last year. I've never seen anyone use a Turkish spindle like this. I must look for a Youtube video or something!!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Beautiful!

Potosi Sheep Farm said...

You motivate me!

Michaele said...

I just love that spindle!

Deb W said...

I think this is my favorite of your spindles yet! What model is it? I went to the Jenkins website and see they have several. I have always used top whorl spindles (when I used a spindle) but you are making these very tempting.

Michelle said...

Yep, reality came back Thursday night - with full volume!

Heather, Wanda has put up several YouTube videos; check out their website! (http://jenkinswoodworking.com/)

Deb, this is their Aegean spindle, and I do think they list this design as one of the options. Oddly enough, it hasn't generated much enthusiasm, but I love it.

Marie said...

Beautiful spindle!!