Monday, July 25, 2011

Tour de Fleece, 2011

This photo represents my first Tour de Fleece efforts. The front skein is 150 yards of two-ply, spun and plied on the three Turkish spindles shown from Inky's roving for Teams Spindlers, My Favorite Sheep, and Shetlands (51 grams). The middle skein and the back skein were both spun and plied on my Hansen miniSpinner from fiber purchased from Corgi Hill Farm for Teams Footloose and Corgi. The middle skein is 231 yards of two-ply 50/50 camel/silk (two ounces), and the back skein is 560 yards of two-ply 70/30 merino/silk (four ounces). I'm very satisfied with my results, even though I think I'll run the back skein through the miniSpinner again to add more twist, and need to spin coordinating fibers for the front two skeins for the knitting projects I have planned for them. The middle skein was a bonus; I wasn't planning to spin that fiber for the Tour but added it at the last minute when I finished the back skein ahead of schedule. Yeah me! Now, back to knitting my two WIPs - which werenot totally neglected during the Tour.

And here is a photo of the donor of wool for that black yarn:
Inky, aptly named for her color, still coal black at ten years of age. She gets to wander around and nibble at what pleases her for awhile in the mornings, since she is easy to catch and put in with the other ewes when I'm done with chores.

That's it for today from . . .

4 comments:

Laura said...

How's the hat coming? (or going?)

Thought about calling you yesterday, but I was packing (yay) and all worn out from playing stock dog on Saturday in Prineville, moving sheep for Correy (breeding groups), and I was plumb tuckered.

Franna said...

Congratulations on completing the Tour! You've got a lot to show for it - good going!

Sharon said...

Ooh ooh, whatcha going to do with that fabulous yarn. Can you use them together in one project? (I loves Inky~)

thecrazysheeplady said...

She did a good job with that super black fiber! And you did a great job on the Tour :-).