Thursday, July 28, 2011

Hat helper

During my MIL's visit (she left yesterday), she announced that she wanted me to teach her to knit. I thought she once knew how, but she is fairly certain that she has only crocheted. She is part of a group of ladies in her church who make baby hats for charity, and she wanted to try her hand at knitting some. So she brought yarn and a pattern, and I provided Addi Turbos and some instruction. We spent some pleasant evenings knitting together, she on her hat

and me on mine.

She made notable progress on proficiency while she was here, and I realized how far my knitting skills have come in just a few short years. Not that I am anywhere near the knitter that Laura is (she invented the formula for the hat I'm working on), but I've come a long way, baby! Last night I finished my hat, which I'm calling the "Crown Roast" -
I'm not sure how to finish the top. I could just weave in the ends, or use them to curl some of the little i-cords into circles or curliques - or what? Ideas?

That's it for now from . . .

5 comments:

Laura said...

You could put little fish on the end of each of the cords!! Or bells, or... you get the picture!!

Christine said...

What an adorable hat! I vote for curly q's.

Cynthia said...

Oh I love that hat Michelle. Is there a link to the pattern? My grandson would love this.

Becky Utecht said...

Love the hat! I was thinking i-cord curly q's, but since you've already cut the yarn, I like the bells idea Laura mentioned.

thecrazysheeplady said...

What about some beads? Maybe black or a cranberry red - something to accent. LOVE the pattern. If there's a link somewhere, can you post it?