Monday, May 23, 2011

Soul support and stash enhancement

I've done what I can. I've spent all my discretionary pennies and a considerable amount of time at Woodland Woolworks since Diane made the sad announcement that she is closing her doors. My heart goes out to Diane and all the lovely ladies who work for her, not only for the financial impact on each home represented, but also for the end of - not just an LYS - but a long-standing institution and a dream. Every time I've had the opportunity, Diane and I have hugged. We're going to try to meet up once in awhile to keep that up - the hugging, with maybe some coffee and fiber thrown in for good measure. I'd love to meet the beautiful Davenport Arabians she takes care of; maybe she'd like to come snoggle sheep sometime. Animals are good for the soul, along with hugs.

Above is a group portrait of what came home with me over three separate visits - a lazy kate, 14 ounces of rainbow dyed 50/50 wool/soysilk top, 14 skeins of yarn, assorted buttons and Norwegian-style clasps, four Addi Turbos and two Jenkins Turkish spindles. I think I've got everything I need to spin and knit from my stash for a long time. And I'll think of Diane when using every single one of those things.

That's it for now from . . .

8 comments:

Deb W said...

From a distance - over the internet, it is (was? are they officially done?) hard to tell what there is still to buy. Those Addis would be very appealing to me. Is SO sad - and the end of an era.

Davenport Arabians? WOW! A heritage bloodline for sure. They have taken Arabians in a direction that is alarming sometimes. I'm glad to hear someone is still protecting those wonderful old bloodlines, even if they are not "in fashion" right now.

Rayna said...

Oooo...if you sell some of that rainbow yarn when you're done spinning....keep me in mind! That looks just YUMMY! Looks like you got a good haul :) So sad when a store like that closes. :(

A :-) said...

Nice stuff you got there - I know, it's sad to lose your favorite LYS. I just lost mine on Saturday.

Michelle said...

Deb, I sent you a PM.

Rayna, I've never sold my yarn before, so I wouldn't know how to price it! But I'll let you know when I get it spun (don't hold your breath!) and we can talk then. Do you have a certain weight of yarn (lace, sport, worsted) that you prefer? How about number of plies? Even if you don't end up buying any, it might be good for me to have some goals for the fiber when I start. :-)

We can mourn together, Adrienne. :-(

Sharon said...

It's sad to see the end of this institution, just as it was sad to say goodbye to Robin and Russ. It's a tough competitive world for those who chose to be in business to supply us fiberists.

Michelle said...

I was aware of Robin and Russ when we first moved to McMinnville, but never went in because I wasn't into ANY kind of fiber then, much less weaving.

Diane said...

Thanks Michelle! The best part of all of this has been the people & friendships. Definitely a treasure! And I'd love a sheep snoggle & to show you the Davenports! They're big on snoggles too - we'll be surrounded in the pasture in no time. They're the kind of horse you "invite in your tent".

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Wish I could get there before they closed :(