Sunday, March 21, 2010

Lamb races!

That was fast, wasn't it? Born, up, and running before you even knew about the blessed event! I wish....

Yesterday my two ewe "lambs" (still my lambs until new ones arrive) and Browning, the two-year-old wether, amused me plenty with their antics upon being turned out for their daily constitutional. Bramble kept springing STRAIGHT up, and then all three of them careened around awhile.

The ewes are swelling like buds, but no one is in danger of bursting yet. Brava was bred on Oct. 30, so I expect her to lamb within the next week or so. It would not surprise me if Dinah and Inky lamb before Brava, as they look more "ripe," but who knows. Maybe all three are plotting together just to see how much excitement I can stand in a 24-hour period. :-)

I hope your first day of spring was as lovely, warm and sunny as ours. Now it's grey and windy; a system is blowing in and it's supposed to rain for two days. Not conducive to stripping and rebedding the fold today, or having the ewe lambs sheared tomorrow!

That's it for now from . . .

8 comments:

Mom L said...

Lambs always look so joyful! Wish I could watch them with you.

Nancy in Iowa

Theresa said...

Oh what great fun! I can just see them in my minds eye doing that straight up pronking thing. The goats do it once in a while, giving a silly little twist, head shake and snort.
Rain here to and boy do we need it, so I'm not going to complain at all except for that muttering about paddock mud.

Mama Mess said...

Tee hee! I love love love watching my kids spring around like they've got on moon shoes. Then the straight up in the air, twist mid leap, back down and kick up the heels! Nothing like it in the world. Come on Dinah, I wanna win! ;)

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Spring had a surprise for us :) Blogged about it!
Beautiful flowers and gotta love those lamb antics lol

Leigh said...

Great action shot of those lambs! Too cute. Ah for the energy of youth. :)

Donna said...

How can you NOT smile when watching those antics??? I love sitting on the front porch and watching the lamb races nightly....just before sundown they REALLY go for the gusto!!
Thanks for sharing...I can never seem to catch those action shots!

Michelle said...

Trust me, Donna, that shot is a rare one. Most of the action shots I try to capture end up an indistinguishable blur....

Sharon said...

It's not pretty yet and I nearly froze to death before Ian finally lit the woodstove, but oh my, the birds are back and their songs life my heart as much as anything, so yeah.