Thursday, September 10, 2009

Chaos and confusion...

...is NOT what I planned to post about today! This morning at chore time I opened the big gate to the sheepfold, prepared to grab and halter Dinah and let the rest of the girls go to their lot. But I slammed the gate shut in a hurry when I realized that Browning and Braveheart were in there, too!

As I grabbed halters it registered that the big boys had broken through their gate and then broken through the divider between Blackberry's night pen and the girls, somehow leaving Blackberry behind. I'm guessing it happened last night before I went to bed, because I heard a fair about of bumping about from the sheepfold. It didn't sound serious, so I didn't go down to investigate. Stupid shepherd....

Anyway, I am thankful there seem to be no injured sheep this morning (Braveheart is NOT gentle with other sheep!), and I'm hoping no one is cycling yet. The ewe lambs need another year to grow and mature, and Dinah's intended is Blackberry. Unfortunately, Dinah's bum was the only mussy-looking one this morning.... Oh well, if Braveheart nailed her, at least I'll have some early lambs!

It's at times like these that Nancy's decision to keep only ewes seems the only sane one, at least for those of us with smaller set-ups. This latest escapade of Braveheart's has earned him the privilege of spending the night outside the fold for now, in the lot next to the barn and shed. If a predator gets him, so be it (although I think the risk is very low). I intend to use him on Brava and Inky this season, but may still separate him at night. Extra work, yes, but that might be the only way to keep him away from Dinah and the ewe lambs.

So what WAS I going to post about today? The three things that got inked in on the calendars yesterday; an October visit by my MIL followed closely by a dressage show for Russell and me, and a family trip to Lexington in November. Brian and I went with Rick to Lexington when he had a continuing education seminar there two years ago, and we all enjoyed the area very much. This time the anticipation is even greater, because Brian and I hope to spend a day at Punkin's Patch, meeting Sarah and playing with sheep and horses and fiber, oh my! Thanksgiving will follow closely on the heels of our return, followed by Brian's birthday less than two weeks after that and Christmas less than three weeks after that. Okay, now my head is spinning; can someone slow down the bus?

That's all the chaos for now from . . .

14 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh NO! Glad no one was injured. I think everyone with livestock has had some form of fence failure or another. I know I have.
The trip to KY sounds delightful, a beautiful place to be spending late fall for sure and it's nice to get away.

Christine said...

I love being able to learn via your blog. That's it, no rams for me. No matter how handsome they are. I'll have to go the rent-a-ram route someday.

The Kentucky trip sounds wonderful. I love it there. And I'd love to get a chance to play in her wool house. ;-)

Laura said...

Get some Leutylase from your "favorite vet" and shoot all the ewes - he can tell you the dosage. This soon into things, it won't affect future cycling, and you can still have the breedings you planned. Time to look into Fort Knox or San Quentin for Braveheart!!

Tammy said...

Oh my....So early in the season yet. My rams have to stay on the outer paramaters of the place because of these reasons. I worry about them (predators, two legged and four legged), but to put them in closer at night just invites breakins/outs it seems. I need to get everyone shuffled around to put even more space between the ewe flock and the boys, before something like this happens. I did finally get the 4.5 month old ram moved out..yikes. I'm sure glad no one was hurt in the ruckus. Tammy

MiniKat said...

Naughty Braveheart! Glad nobody was hurt. Hope Dinah isn't pregnant. :-/

Sounds like October will be a fun month for you. :-)

Shula said...

Well at least everyone is fine. Sounds like you are going to get really busy. I've never been to Kentucky although I am hoping to go next year for the equestrian games. It's like the USA horse mecca. Rams can be silly but I love mine anyway. That being said my girls' tend to break in with my boys more than the other way round :)

Sharon said...

Boy can I identify with your last paragraph. I feel the same rush of pace and I had thought with retirement, I would be released from that. Slow down the bus!!!

Egghead said...

My hats off to you. What a lot of work you do each day. Oh and the fall is my favorite time of the year and all of your activities just reminded me of that. You are a busy lady.

PS well maybe you just might get some really cute little lambs from this. That is the blessing.

Kathy said...

Oops. Those pesky hormones, eh? ;) I have Loki in with just two ewes and have seen the tell-tail(pun intended) rumpled-butt syndrome, even though he's only about 6 months old. Soon, I'll put a third ewe in with him, etc. He's just too small to hold his own with the wethers yet. He's got enough problems with the girls!
But at least he's not fence-hoppin' just yet. DNA Testing here you come! heeheehee

Michelle said...

Kathy, I don't think need to do DNA testing, because the only girl exposed to TWO rams is Dinah. She's been penned with Blackberry during the day but he's shown no interest in breeding yet. Fortunately, Blackberry stayed put in his pen when Braveheart and Browning rammed their way through two barriers to get to the girls! I may have Rick give Dinah a shot to cycle her just in case, like Laura said.

We can't blame Braveheart, can we? He had to sit out breeding last year because Franjean came to call. He's got two years' worth of pent-up desire!

Jenny Holden said...

Oh heck, how typical. I hope my girls aren't cycling yet, I've got a couple of weeks before I can move the boys on!

Nancy K. said...

I'd like to be the first to wish you a very MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

;-)

Nancy ~ who's leaving sheep and chickens behind and heading to Wisconsin for the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival (and Midwest Shetland Sheep Breeders Association Shetland sheep show) all weekend! For the very first time, I am NOT taking any sheep. Actually signed up to take a couple of knitting classes and will visit the vendors' barn for once...

Michelle said...

Thanks for the grin this morning, Nancy. And good for you; I hope you have a blast! Imagine, getting to "play" at a sheep show!

thecrazysheeplady said...

I am so looking forward to your visit! Should be a great time of the year and we'll have all sorts of fun fibery and horsey things to get into :-).