Friday, June 12, 2009

Going dairy-free

In less than 24 hours I've gone from the highs of shepherding to one of the lows - WEANING! (And yes, I am fully aware that all caps is equivalent to shouting, which is fitting given the din the ewes and lambs are making!)

Yesterday the lambs were being particularly independent, to the distress of their dams. Since I am taking the lambs to Black Sheep Gathering next Thursday evening, I decided there's no time like the present to wean them. On top of that, I took Butter to the sheep transporter for the first leg of her journey to her new home with Garrett in Minnesota, so why not upset the whole fruit cart at once?

I just got my micron test results back, and am probably a fool for selling Butter. She was the finest-fleeced adult sheep on the property, with an average micron of 24.4, a standard deviation of 5.6, and a comfort factor of 85.7. But in order to keep my two ewe lambs I had to make some room. Since I am least attached to Butter, and I prefer a longer staple, and she had a fully horned ram lamb, and Garrett really wanted her, she was the easiest to part with. Here she is, uncoated, tied up, and ready for a parting pedicure before leaving:
Missing the milk and Butter here at . . .

6 comments:

MiniKat said...

I miss Butter too! But at least she's going to a good home. :-)

Anonymous said...

Poor babies! I agree that weaning is definitely one of the lows of raising sheep. Looking forward to seeing you at BSG!

Kathy said...

I wish I had known Butter was going elsewhere. :) I sure will miss her too.

Ebonwald Cardigans said...

Kathy you can check her out on my blog from time to time!!

I had hoped to get her last year from Susan Kimball (Butter's breeder) but the transportation fell through so I emailed Michelle and said BUY HER IF YOU CAN! Things just have a way of working out I guess :)

Leigh said...

I really like your blog's new look!

I have to say, that your comment about Shetlands has really got me reconsidering. I've wanted sheep ever since I learned to spin, and fell in love with Shetlands when I started working on my Shetland Sampler Cardigan. Sounds to me as though they would be a great match for our situation. I need to start learning about raising Shetland sheep!

Butter, BTW is a real beauty. I hope she likes her new home.

Nancy K. said...

"Dairy Free" "miss Milk & Butter"

What a delight!