Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Just stellar - or Rhapsody in Blue II

Both scrub and Stellar's jays are common here, but both are difficult to photograph because they are so flighty. This morning while folding clothes I noticed a Stellar's jay busily eating (bugs? wilted flowers? baby cherries setting on?) in the cherry tree outside our bedroom window (see here, first photo), so I grabbed my camera and snuck up to the glass to see if I could "capture" him. Success!
(Blurry, but it shows the vivid blue.)

That's it for now from rainy . . .

9 comments:

Gone2theDawgs said...

My stellars have to be some of the healthiest, with the shiniest feathers.....seeing as they eat alot of my high dollar dogfood that is out in the kennels during the day (with Kylie and Finn). I still really like them though....:)

An English Shepherd said...

Great looking birds we done have them over here :-(

Wizz :-)

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

This time of year we have literally hundreds of species of finches flying through here! They never used to come through here but have been since St. Helens blew in 88.

Rayna said...

Gorgeous! I'm so jealous...I wish we had those here.

Christine said...

Gorgeous shots!

Sharon said...

Nope. No stellars here - scrub jays, you betcha. I saw a black-headed grosbeak this morning however. I also saw a small herd of mule-tail deer and shortly after that, a small herd of pronghorn antelope. It was a good morning overall.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Excellent catch. We don't have those here. Thanks for sharing!

Karen said...

Thanks for posting the neat Stellars photos -I've never seen one!

country girl said...

The stellars are the prettiest of the jays. Too bad they make such an obnoxious noise.